Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a new computer. Also Backup questions. Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new computer. Also Backup questions. Recommendations?

It's time to start thinking of a new computer. I keep running more and more programs, and my computer just isn't liking it.

I want to make sure I get the power I need, but don't want to go way overboard. I'll go with Dell again, since I've had many, and have always been happy. I'll also run Windows Professional version.

Other than that, are there any configuration recommendations you all would suggest? I run Actinic, the Mole End piece that uploads/downloads, Firefox, Outlook, Quickbooks, Stamps.com, and ShipRush at all times.

Other things that get added in at times are Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro X, Winfax, CuteFTP.

Those are my core programs that I use regularly to run my business.

While I have your attention, I'll ask about backups. I backup nightly, and can recover from that if I have a crash. But I would lose anything I've done during the day. I would really like to recover from the backup, then do a roll forward from log files or something. Or have a mirror image hard-drive that always has an exact copy of my working drive, so maybe I could just swap out the drives if I had a crash. Any suggestions in this area?

Thanks!
    -------

Pat

Take a look at the Dell Precision 490's they can be configured for RAID.
    I'd go for a minimum of:
    2 x 160Gb HDDs
    19" monitor
    2Gb RAM
    3 Year 24/7 Business Support

Will work out at around £1500 +VAT & Del

Comment

I run Actinic, the Mole End piece that uploads/downloads, Firefox, Outlook, Quickbooks, Stamps.com, and ShipRush at all times
      Then add extra RAM so each application can have its full share without resorting to hard drive memory swap out.

In fact, look at adding more RAM to the machine you already have if its under two years old.

Check the max RAM capability specification of the machine you choose and at least ensure that if it handles 1Gb cards, the shop do not fit 2 x 512Mb - that just occupies slots and adds to your future expansion costs.

To run a mirror drive, you will need two drives of exactly the same model from the same manufacturer for best results, and RAID (either hardware or software - though the hardware option is both more reliable and more expensive). Very important to NOT abandon your regular backups if you do add a mirror drive - you might still need the backup.

What does your machine do during your lunch break? Can you schedule a 'changed files' backup during that break?
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I recall reading somewhere that Dell are having problems .. would suggest Fujitsu myself.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
          Check the max RAM capability specification of the machine you choose and at least ensure that if it handles 1Gb cards, the shop do not fit 2 x 512Mb - that just occupies slots and adds to your future expansion costs.
          Unless you go for a model that supports dual channel RAM, in that case there is a potential performance gain in having 2 x 512Mb over 1GB.

I would look for a system running the new Intel Core 2 Duo chips, fast, low temperatures, low electricity costs. Ideal if your machine will be on 24/7 downloading orders.

A RAID setup offers a good backup in case of hard drive failure, but I would also try and do a backup that you can take offsite, in case of fire etc.

We use Pheonix Backup (http://www.sydatec.com/phoenix_pro/index.html) and a Buffalo Linkstation + Buffalo Drivestation. The backup software is set to do an incremental backup every hour. When we go out the drivestation goes with us....

We did try Dantz Retrospect but had nothing but problems.

Plus we back up to DVD once a month and store offsite.

If you plan to rotate backups look for DVD RAM as they are more reliable than DVD ROM.

Dont forget to plug the whole lot into some decent surge protection too

Pete

Comment

Dell not with a barge poll IMHO. There production line methods worry me greatly with high end quotes and shoddy internal components. They certainly are NOT the company they were 3-5 years ago.

If you have some spec in mind, pop it up here and I am sure you can out together a beast of a machine for a fraction of off the shelf prices PLUS you know whats going in it

Many good local companies out there can build high end machines at a low low cost.

Regards
            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I don't know much about them, but the new Intel Dual-Core processor PCs sound interesting - anyone know if they are seriously faster?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Hi

Not got one personally but on my next upgrade (post-Xmas sales ) I shall be getting a pc built with one. A couple of my colleagues have them and are raving about them, especially as we have many apps open at once and they claim it is a vast improvement.

I shall post the spec when I speak to them later.

Regards
                Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                  I don't know much about them, but the new Intel Dual-Core processor PCs sound interesting - anyone know if they are seriously faster?
                  If you search for ‘core 2 duo’ and 'review', you will see everyone is raving about them, as even the budget model gives excellent performance. Its not just speed though, they also use less power so they run cooler, so no need for fast and noisy fans or hugely expensive heat sinks and require less electricity.

I do agree with los_design, personally I wouldn’t touch Dell, mainly because as I understand it they use a lot of customised components that they make. Thus if it goes wrong you can only buy the replacement part from them, at their price.

I speced a machine based on the Core 2 Due E6600 and a top range ASUS motherboard, 2Gb Corsair RAM, 300Gb hard drive etc for around £700

Pete

Comment

Great input. Thanks! My machine is almost four, so it's time for a new one. I'm planning on the new Intel Dual-Core processor. I'm in the US, so it would be a bit of a trip to pop in for a visit los_design! Although it's been several years (ugh - 20!) since I was last in the UK, so I'm due a visit! I did have a machine custom built once, and it was a year-long nightmare. So I'm a bit gun-shy to do that again.

Help me out with RAID. If I understand correctly, this involves using two (or more) hard drives, all updated with the same data. Processing rotates the drive that is used, and if any drive failed, the remaining drive(s) would continue with no visible impact to the user. (One of those famous "transparent" things, that never really seem to turn out transparent!). Simply replace the bad drive, and continue on your way. RAID improves performance as well as provides basically a mirror image of your entire drive. Is this correct? If so, it may well be worth the cost to me for the peace of mind. I would continue with the nightly backups on the off chance that both drives failed.

Thanks for the input!
                    -------

Pat

Comment

Hi

Unless you have 4 hard drives, you have to choose between setting up the RAID array to either increase performance or offer you backup.

If you set the RAID up for backup (RAID 1 - mirroring), the data is written to BOTH hard drives at the same time. Thus if any hard drive were to fail, the other would have a copy of the data and you could still access it.

If you set the RAID op for a performance increase (RAID 0- striped), when ever a program writes data to the disk, some of that data will be written to one disk, and some of the data to the other disk. Thus the effective read/write times are halved.

Servers will often have 4 hard drives set up so that both setups can be achieved. But not all motherboards would allow you to setup both options.

From what I have read the performance increase in RAID 0 is not always noticable in desktop machines.

Hope that helps
                      Pete

Comment

Hi, Pete. Yes, that does help. Thank you. If I set up RAID for backup, is the backup reliable? (2 hard drives)
                        -------

Pat

Comment

I guess it depends by what you mean by reliable. AFAIU Its excellent if you have one hard drive go wrong and you want to 'seamlessly' continue working, you wouldn’t loose orders, emails etc and you should be able to just buy a replacement hard drive, connect it up and have the RAID working with very little down time. Put both drives in caddies and it would be even easier.

However, if your data gets corrupted by say a virus, than both copies are corrupted or if you accidentally delete a file then its gone from both drives. A power supply failure or surge might damage every component in the computer etc

For that reason I would not rely on it for my sole backup strategy.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X