Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access through MS ISA Server 2004

Hi

We've just installed MS Small Business Server as our new network operating system, included in this is MS ISA Server 2004 which is now in use as our firewall.

Our website is hosted externally. Unfortunatley since we have installed the new server, Actinic is no longer able to publish to the external website via ftp. We just get 'access denied' error messages and 'do we want to continue using http'. Going down the http route does work, but is not ideal.

Does anybody have any experience they can share of configuring ISA 2004 to allow Actinic traffic to pass through?

BTW I did find a doc on the Actinic website which refers to ISA 2000, but this hasn't helped me solve the problem so far.

Thanks
    Stephen Hoyle

Hoyles Electronic Developments

??

Any ideas anyone?
    Stephen Hoyle

Comment

Are you able to connect via a standalone FTP client? Have you tried different workstations and as administrator?

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi

Yes I can connect to the web space with a standard ftp client, so it seems to be an actinic / isa specific problem.
        Stephen Hoyle

Comment

I'm also logged on as an admin
          Stephen Hoyle

Comment

Hi there

One thing I would check in Actinic, is if you go to "Advance | Network Setup", and click on the "Proxy..." Button, have you "FTP Proxy" to "Default (Window Settings)". Also can you ftp using Internet Explorer.

Eg, open an internet explorer window and type in the address bar:

ftp://usernameassword@serverhost

If you get an error here in IE, then you would need to check your settings for the ISA server to allow FTP.
            One last thing to check, is if the internet explorer test is okay, go to "Tools | Internet Options | Connection" and click on "LAN Settings...", here see the detail you put in for the proxy server, http and ftp, and put these details into Actinic.

Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi

I can ftp from IE, upload files and delete no problem. Proxy settings are set in Actinic to default, I've also tried changing them manually but no luck. The upload stops when Actinic says created remote directory structure and then eventually times out.

Any more ideas?
              Thanks
              Stephen Hoyle

Comment

So Actinic is connecting. Have you tried ticking "use passive FTP ransfers" in network setup

Bikster

Comment

Hi Stephen

Yes another idea , Go to "Advance | Network Setup", and tick "Use Enhanced FTP". Click on "Apply" and "OK". Now upload as normal, when you get the timeout message, in your site1 folder, there will be a log file (it may be called ActinicFTP_1.log or similar). Zip up the log file and attach it to this thread, let see why it stalling.

Edit: Seeing Jont, has written another good idea, try that as well

Kind Regards
                  Nadeem Rasool
                  SellerDeck Development

Comment

I connect via SBS and have the proxy settings set to "none" for both boxes

Bikster

Comment

Hi Jont
                      Originally posted by jont
                      I connect via SBS and have the proxy settings set to "none" for both boxes
                      Are you using SBS 2004? or an earlier version?

Kind Regards
                      Nadeem Rasool
                      SellerDeck Development

Comment

It's always the one thing you havent tried isn't it!

Thanks Jont, changing the proxy settings to None has fixed the problem. You would think that when you know you are using a proxy server i.e. ISA Server, you would need to specify the proxy - but no you don't!

The only other setting I've changed for anyone else who might come accross this problem in the future is in the ISA Server Management console I've done the following:
                        Highlight the firewall policy
                        right-click each rule in turn till you find the option stating - configure FTP
                        select this option and unselect the read-only (means download only) tick box.
                        Click apply at the top of the screen to save the changes.

This allows FTP uploads

thanks all for your help
                        Stephen Hoyle

Comment

Originally posted by Wiseman
                          It's always the one thing you havent tried isn't it!
                          Yep - always

SBS is great but finding anything is always 5000 clicks away and buried in a sub-menu with no clues to it's true use.

Glad you got it working

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by Nadeem
                            Hi Jont

Are you using SBS 2004? or an earlier version?
                            Nadeem - using SBS 2003

Bikster

Comment

Hi there

Many thanks, Good to see this one has been resolved. Thanks Stephen for also putting up additional information.

Kind Regards
                              Nadeem Rasool
                              SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
                              X