onload not loading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

onload not loading...

The 'onload' function is currently supposed to be pre-loading the 'pressed button' graphics for the navigation bar (which it has correctly picked up from design | options | navigation).

However, there is a big delay in the 'mouseover' effect.

For example, I click on a page which loads almost instantly, it says 'done' in the status bar, yet for 5 seconds or so I can wave the mouse over the buttons and nothing happens (except the cursor changing shape). Then after 5 seconds or so the 'pressed button' effect kicks in and the 'pressed effect' works when the mouse is over it.

The same thing happens on page after page (you'd think the buttons would be cached after the first page) - load page, 5 seconds to work, load next page, another 5 seconds...etc

I have checked the onload line in the final code and it looks correct -
    Code:
    <BODY OnLoad="PreloadImages('','','','crazy-daves-basket-button-2.gif','crazy-daves-checkout-button-2.gif','','crazy-daves-login-button-2.gif')">
    These graphics are the same names as in the mouseover code (I double checked) so what's the delay?
    John

could we have a url to a specific page please

Comment

sorry, it's on my test server (on my desk, firewalled) at the moment, so it's invisible to you... and it's a super secret prelaunch site...

I know that's not very helpfull, I was just hoping someone might recognise the problem or suggest another area that might cause this sort of issue (I don't think it is the pre-load that's not working, I think something else is stuffing it up).
      John

Comment

Can't see can't help.

So all you can do is view the page in Firefox and use its Tools / JavaScript console to see what errors are showing.

You may also want to put a few diagnostic "alert('Got here');" type lines into actiniccore.js to see what's happening.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I had the same problem with my mole end site - it was caused by invalid HTML for the onload. I can't see a problem with your onload but then again I am just a computer programmer not a designer, so woudln't anyway.

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
            Can't see can't help.
            I did upload a cut-down test page for you to all see, but annoyingly it worked just fine. That does however, show that it is not the onload causing the problem so I will try the firefox thing and if that doesn't work I'll just start deleting the page bit by bit until the problem dispears...
            John

Comment

lol, ok translation needed - java error is -
              Code:
              Error: [Exception... "'Permission denied to get property XULElement.selectedIndex' when calling method: [nsIAutoCompletePopup::selectedIndex]"  nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)"  location: "JS frame :: http://192.168.1.6/acatalog/index.html :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 179"  data: no]
              Source File: http://192.168.1.6/acatalog/index.html
              Line: 179
              Line 179 appears to be the "document.forms[nIndex].SS.focus();" in -
              Code:
              <script language="JavaScript">
              <!--
              for (nIndex = 0; nIndex < document.forms.length; nIndex++)
              {
              if (document.forms[nIndex] && document.forms[nIndex].SS)
              {
              document.forms[nIndex].SS.focus();
              }
              }
              // -->
              </script>
              As Manuel would say, "Que?"...
              John

Comment

the problem seems to be caused by the blank names (ie. '') in the onload statement. The more there are the longer the delay.

Now I am using hardcoded nav buttons I have taken out all of the graphics from the design|options|nav section and my onload looks like this -
                Code:
                OnLoad="PreloadImages('','','','','','','','')"
                and it now takes 8-9 seconds before the page finishes loading (or until the rollover buttons start to work anyway).

So as a test I have set ALL of the navigation graphics to 'shim.gif' (a small spacer file used by actinic), and the onload looks like this -
                Code:
                OnLoad="PreloadImages('shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif','shim.gif')"
                And it works just fine! So that is definately the cause, the question is can I stop the onload preloading the non-existant graphics? (and commenting it out is not an option as it screws up the protx jump page in the checkout (I've had that problem on previous sites!)
                John

Comment

Working...
                X