Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Text on search page but not search results...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text on search page but not search results...

On my search page I want to say "Enter your search text here, or use the menu bar on the left".

Unfortunately, the search html is the same for the main search page and the search results page, so the text is also displayed there - and the search results page does not list the sections in the left menu bar (a known problem).

So how can I display this text on the search page but not the search results page? btw. the search page is the home page / catalog root so I can't tell it to use a different template - it uses ACT_PRIMARY.HTML - I could put the text in the primary template and then change every single other page in the entire catalog to a different copy of the primary template but that seems like a lot of hassle...
    John

I could put the text in the primary template and then change every single other page in the entire catalog to a different copy of the primary template but that seems like a lot of hassle...
    It certainly would be when you can make a copy of the Act_Primary and only change the home page / catalog root to use that altered template.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

how do I change only the root to use the different template? the only options are title and meta tags...?

(ps. in the 'content tree' view I'm talking about the page with the little bundle of cash icon (at least I think that's what it is) not the little house icon...)
      John

Comment

Design | Options Layout

If all the catalog pages are all set to 'use parent', you will probably have to set the top level sections to use the original Act_Primary.html template. Everything below should then inherit from THAT parent.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

you will probably have to set the top level sections to use the original Act_Primary.html template
          nope, all sections are set to 'use parent' - but it's not too much hassle just to change the top level ones...

BUT, when I changed the 'default overall layout' template it changed all the pages except the home page which stayed exactly the same! So what template is that using???
          John

Comment

most likely candidates are act primary,act brochure primary and act checkout primary.

Otherwise its a case of trawling though to see what parents you have overridden

Comment

duh! It was 'front page layout' that needed to be changed, not 'default page layout'.

Now it works just as I want - thanks...
              John

Comment

Working...
              X