Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two questions on design

I am completely newbie. Two questions. Sorry they are asked before
    1) how can fix the size of my webpage. Currently, when I change the size of IE windows, the lay out changed completely.

2) When I use sub section, the tope the pages shows
    Products | Clothing | Shoes
    How can make it looks like the following format. This will allow customer find their way more easily
    Products > Clothing > Shoes

Sorry for my English, hope you can understand what I want to say. Thanks in advance, JW

Hi John.

Originally posted by startingactinic
    1) how can fix the size of my webpage. Currently, when I change the size of IE windows, the lay out changed completely.
    It's generally not a good idea to have a fixed width design, since people viewing your site will do so from a variety of different browsers, resolutions and screen sizes, which will all affect the page's width on their machine. Giving the pages an absolute width will mean that it looks perfect on a few user's computers, but that it will be either too wide or too slim on many others.

How can make it looks like the following format. This will allow customer find their way more easily
    I can't remember the exact template to change this, but if you go to Advanced | Template Manager in Actinic and switch to the advanced view, it should be there somewhere. It'll most likely be called 'Breadcrumbs' or something similar. Clicking on that should open up the relevant file, where you can replace the '|' character with whatever you like. Sorry I can't be more specific, I've not got Actinic installed on this machine.

Comment

This depends on the theme you are using - I assume you are using a fluid layout at the moment which resizes in the browser. You will need to edit Act_Primary.html, Act_BrochurePrimary.html and Act_PrimaryCheckout.html (in the root of the site1 folder) and change the overall table layout from 100% to 750px for example. Depending on the theme there may be cells in that table that may require fixed widths also - especiall any left hand navigation areas.

As Rob says be careful about setting too wide as this may cause horizontal scrolling to some users. Your site stats should show the maximum size you can set to accommodate most visitors

Take a look in Act_NavigationItem.html also in the root of site1 folder

As always best to take a copy of any templates prior to changing

HTH

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

thanks for replies. I am using the trial V8 version. I couldn't find Act_Primary.html, Act_BrochurePrimary.html and Act_PrimaryCheckout.html in the root of the site1 folder.
        I searched my cumputer for these files. I couldn't find them anywhere in my computer.
        Dose the V8 have different method to change the template?
        regards, JohnW

Comment

thanks for replies. I am using the trial V8 version. I couldn't find Act_Primary.html, Act_BrochurePrimary.html and Act_PrimaryCheckout.html
          this is the v7 forum - hence the v7 solutions!

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
          X