Instructions on how to enable a Laptop & PC to work together with Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instructions on how to enable a Laptop & PC to work together with Actinic

I have a Dell Laptop and Dell PC, working on a Wireless system. Is it possible for me to use both to update the Catalogue or download and fulfill orders from either one or the other, (depending on which computer I was using at the time) please?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Shirley.

There is a multi-user version that is used for networking to allow more than one user to work on the file at the same time

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Many thanks for your reply. This means then that it is impossible for me to link these two machines together with the site, without buying another package.

Regards

Shirley

Comment

Is it possible for me to use both to update the Catalogue or download and fulfill orders from either one or the other, (depending on which computer I was using at the time) please?
        1 you can move from one machine to another taking a snapshot

2 you can order process on one machine and upload from another but not mix the 2 unless you use the snapshot method

3 buy multi user which allows you to network and use either one depending on your mood

Comment

4 and also the most practical way to do this, would be to enable remote desktop on the PC and use remote desktop connection FROM the laptop to run Actinic on the PC. That way, all the data stays on the one machine.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
            1 you can move from one machine to another taking a snapshot

2 you can order process on one machine and upload from another but not mix the 2 unless you use the snapshot method

3 buy multi user which allows you to network and use either one depending on your mood
            Jo, Many thanks for this information.

Shirley.

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
              4 and also the most practical way to do this, would be to enable remote desktop on the PC and use remote desktop connection FROM the laptop to run Actinic on the PC. That way, all the data stays on the one machine.
              Bill, thanks once again for your help. Could you help me further by giving me instructions how to do this.

Kind regards

Shirley.

Comment

Windows XP, on the PC [logged on with the Administrator account] - Start | Control Panel | System - Remote tab, tick "Allow users to connect to this computer" - you will need your XP installation disk.

Click Select Remote Users, and add your normal desktop account to the list of authorised users, and OK out.

If you don't already know the computername for the PC, right click My Computer and check the Properties.

From the Laptop, Start | All Programs | Accessories | Remote Desktop Connection - enter the computername, your PC username and password.

The PC connection will open in a window, which you can size and move around as required.
                Bill

Comment

Am I right in thinking this is fine as long as you don't have someone working on Actinic via the laptop and a second person working on Actinic via the PC at the same time?

Comment

Yes. Remote desktop is essentially single user with the user now being remote.

Note that you'll need XP Pro on the host system if you go the Remote Desktop route. If you don't have that RealVNC ( www.realvnc.com ) is an open source alternative.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

That is correct, but since two people cannot work on the same part of an Actinic store (except for order processing with Multi User) anyway, there would be no loss.

If you had two separate installations, and you both tried to control the online store, you would each be overwriting whatever changes were unique to the other installation - your shop would be unusable within a week.
                      Bill

Comment

Following on from this.

Would it be possible to keep the main actinic programme on a portable hard-drive accessing it via a wireless link when we need to download orders and up date changes?

Comment

Assuming the portable hard disk was attached to the PC that holds the registry info, I think so.

Comment

Working...
                          X