Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for sections instead of products

Hi,

On my site a lot of the products that i sell have the same short descriptions but different full descriptions (so they are basically a variation of the same product.) That means when someone searches for a particular product they'll get 3 or more search results going to the same page. Which is OK as at least they'll get to the right page but it makes the search come back with loads of results and look a bit of a mess.

Is there anyway i can set up the search to search by sections rather than products? This way the number of search results would be much less but the customer would still get to the right page.

Thanks

The search results always return a list of product, so you have to have product pages in your results.

However you can try these 2 ways. They should emuate what you want - many products on the page but only 1 (the top one) returned when searching, even if the keyword is in many on that page.

1) Assuming you don't use the Extended Info popup pages.

Go to View / Search Settings / Search Options / Indexing Options and uncheck everything except Index Extended Product Info. Now for the main product on each page, put all the search terms into its Extended Information / Text field.

2) You could also try something similar by only indexing Fragments. Use a Text only fragment Template that you've modified to comment out the text. I.e.
    Code:
    <!-- TextOnly HTML begin -->
    <tr>
    <td colspan="3" valign="top">

NETQUOTEVAR:FRAGMENTANCHOR
    <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:BROCHURE_TEXT -->
    </td>
    </tr>
    <!-- TextOnly HTML end -->
    And put your keywords into the Fragment text.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
    X