v7 Accepting invalid credit card number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v7 Accepting invalid credit card number

On more than one occasion I have had orders come through where the customer has neglected to put the last 4 digits of their credit card number in.

Both times mastercard and both times the system has accepted the card with only 12 digits - i checked the system by running the card number through myself and it went through.

Perhaps there could be a tweak of the card validation to stop this

how do you process Cards?

inbuilt encryption, SSL, PSP?

Comment

I receive card info using actinic system with SSL
      I download the orders and process manually

Comment

Would also be interested in this please - I'm sure it's been brought up before, but as a lot of people use an on-line payment service provider this won't affect them. So I don't know if there's been enough requests from those of us who do not use a PSP for it to register on the Actinic radar (could this be put on the wish list? ).

I would say it shouldn't be too difficult to impliment as each different card type has a set number of digits (I'll run for cover in a minute!) - and taking it a step further, certain cards should have a required start date or a required issue number according to the length of the card number. Spaces should be ignored as some people put them in, some don't.

I understand that there are users on the forum who have issues with businesses that do not use a PSP and that's fine, but for some of us there is no choice and we, at least, have developed very tight security practices accordingly. So suggestions that we switch to a PSP to "cure" this problem aren't helpful (well for us at least, don't know about Zoot).

This feature would be very useful (and time saving!) in preventing customer error when inputting card details for those of us who chose not to or cannot use a PSP. Some of our wishes should also be granted

Comment

The only validation done on the credit card number is to use a checksum, so if the last digits add up to the checksum on the rest, the number will be accepted. I think that this is a reasonable method of checking, you have to know how to cheat or be very lucky to get past it.

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Still they get through
            Whats the problem with ensuring they have 16 or more digits

Comment

But doesn't it seem odd that multiple people are putting in 12 digit numbers (and apparently checksum valid numbers)? I mean, why would they do that? It's not the sort of thing that can easily happen by accident unless you have a really high number of orders.

Have you actually tried processing the numbers to see if they're valid?

I seem to remember that when protx gave me some test numbers to try out some were shorter than 16 digits - maybe that's because they were test numbers, but it does show that a 16 digit limit is not necessarily a good thing.

Maybe contact a few of the customers and ask why? Maybe they're just careless, but maybe their card only has 12 digits...?
              John

Comment

It's not something that happens a lot, 2 times in as many years.
                But it is annoying as I've basiclly lost an order and reputation when it looks to the customer as though I have lost part of the card number.

The card numbers do not process.

Is there a 12 digit card number on any card?

Comment

I'm not aware of any 12 digit cards, but there are 13 digit Visa cards, 14 digit diners club cards and 15 digit amex cards so a 12 digit card might be a possibility.

Mike
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X