Really annoying bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really annoying bug

I know this problem has been mentioned in other threads but I can't find a long-term solution to it. Basically whenever I make a small change to my site then try to upload I get a Merge Error and have to do a site refresh. If I make major changes to the site I don't seem to get the Merge Error. Doing a site refresh is all very well but with my site it can take around 3 or 4 hours during which time, of course, customers cannot place orders. Is it a program bug, a hosting problem (I'm with 1and1 Business), or something else?
    http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk

I'm also with 1and1 and haven't seen this problem with small or large updates.

I wander what else it could be? I'll have a think.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Try ignoring the error, and re-uploading.
      Repeat up to 3 times.
      We often get upload errors (can't remember for now if they mention 'merge errors'), but usually the above seems to work (no errors on third attempt).
      Its not a solution, but is quicker than a full refresh, and works for us.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'll try that. Does anyone from Actinic know if it's a bug or something else?

Comment

to eliminate merge errors you could try

delete all cat and fil files from both site1 and webserver

also delete cgi files (the generated ones) ie xx0000001.pl and pm from both site1 and cgi-bin on server.

upload

This clear out may prevent future merge errors

Comment

We host with CLARA and often get a merge request failure - over the years I have personally found this does nothing to prevent the site working correctly or the site uploading and downloading orders again. I put this down to a time out with the server - especially at busy periods (when I tend to do the most maintenance work)

Have you tried placing a trial order after the erorr message is received?

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I host with 1and1 Linux Business Pro package. Never had a merge error. Sometimes I do tiny updates (like a single word on a page). Other times entire site updates.

I can't understand why an update would take hours???!!!

What type of speed of connection do you have? (I have 4meg Blueyonder), although the upload speed would be less than this.

Sounds like a very odd problem. Never taken more than 30 seconds to 45 seconds to uplaod and change my entire site.

Had a 'time out' once. Ran it again and it was fine. I don't believe this is a 1and1 issue.

Comment

Thanks Jo, I've now done that and we'll see how it goes.
                Jont - I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually interfere with the operation of the site but it is a bit annoying.
                Dave - a site refresh takes hours because our site is large (around 7000 pages), we have 4 meg broadband from Telewest too - the upload speed is, I think, only 384K.

Comment

Do you have Nortons or any other firewall working (software or hardware)? pretty much we will always have merge errors and time outs from customers using these packages, make sure you shut them down completly, both anti virus and security if nortons. It is unlikely to be a problem with the host or your internet connection and the upload in Actinic is fine. 9 times out of 10 for us we find it is third party software causing the problem.

One other thing is to check if you are on a windows server, if you are make sure you are NOT using passive transfer mode in Actinic, found in Advanced | Network setup, also try unchecking Use Enhanced FTP.

Hope that helps
                  --------------------
                  www.ProSite.co.uk

Comment

I usually find they merge errors are associated with a fragment of product being highlighted when doing the update. I always highlight the homepage before an update and touch wood dont get them anymore.

Comment

Jez, we have BitDefender software firewall/anti-virus running but frankly, I don't think the solution is to disable our firewall during upload. If I had to choose between firewall software and shopping cart software - the firewall would win and I'd be looking for an alternatve to Actinic. We're on 1and1's Linux servers.
                      Malcolm - we did have a problem with uploads when a fragment was highlighted in the past. I can't remember what the error was but this is not the same.

Comment

Just a process of elimination, I am not sure but I think it was a version of bit defender that caused us no end of problems at a clients site about six months ago, we could not figure out why the catalogue would not update and loads of other problems like you are having. The sole purpose of these wares is to look for and block eroneuos attacks. When Actinic uploads it creates multiple ftp sessions in it's communication with the server, some programs like the one you have will cause problems.

I hear what you are saying but you should at least give it a go to rule out that option. If I had a pound for everytime I had a problem with third party firewalls I would be surfing in Tahiti! To me the only real firewall solution is a hardware one. This is probably telling you to suck eggs but is your software upto date?
                        --------------------
                        www.ProSite.co.uk

Comment

Just found the old emails about the problem, it was a version of Zone Alarm that caused the problem.
                          --------------------
                          www.ProSite.co.uk

Comment

Do you have one of those modem/routers that need the MTU setting upped to 1500 to enable proper service [Netgear and derivatives]?
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Yes I had this problem with Zone Alarm it was a nightmare uploading - all sorts of time outs ect. Downloaded latest version around 3 months ago and seemed fine,
                              Switched computers now and not using Zone Alarm so I can't comment on latest downloads.
                              Percentage Golf
                              Booksand.info

Comment

Working...
                              X