The scrolling mouse problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The scrolling mouse problem...

...customers changing their payment method in error by turning the mouse wheel while the payment option choices are still selected. Any way to make this `impossible to happen` when customers are placing orders?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Count me in on this one. Its the biggest cause of customer confusion. They think they've selected "Payment by credit card" and are surprised when the goods don't turn up. The savvy ones realise they should haven't been asked to enter their CC details and go back and try again. Some then wonder if they have placed the order twice. Some get peed off and go elsewhere.

Alan

Comment

I've had the same problem and even been told i'm talking BS when explaining that it's down to the scrolling mouse.

I have been thinking of putting a 'confirm' button next to the drop down menu for people to click on. It doesn't have to do anything. Just an image for people to click on to take the focus away from the drop down menu.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Me too! It's a nightmare - we have notices in our news and FAQs but of course people don't read anything that might be of use to them.

It's our main reason for having to phone customers - normally it's the expiry date for us, even though there is no need to scroll on this area of the page they still manage to do it.

Comment

Add me to the list with annoyed customers.

Is there any way via a Javascript to force the page to refresh when the payment option is selected / changed? At least that would let the user know the form has been modified

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Might be a bit of a long shot, but let's get the ball rolling:

How about replacing NETQUOTEVAR:PAYMENTMETHODOPTIONS in ActOrder02.html template with some HTML (Google "Radio button HTML") which creates the appropriate number of radio buttons instead of a drop down. You would have to "hard code" your payment options so it wouldn't change automatically if method changes are made in Actinic, but it wouldn't take long to change manually.

Please back up ActOrder02.html first.............

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

This minor change tells the browser to cancel the default action of the mouse wheel while a select box is in focus. Options can only be selected by clicks or the keypad, not by scrolling.

Code:
              <select onmousewheel="return false">
              ...options here...
              </select>
              www.gbradley.co.uk
              Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

I had a look at some other sites, and some of the larger ones use radio buttons for payment methods rather than a drop down list - probably for this reason.

There's a section in the AUG for using radio buttons instead of a drop down list if you wanted to try it out.

Comment

Thanks Chris - page 64 AUG does indeed offer a more elegant solution than mine - clearly an RTFM problem on my part!

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Another alternative would be to use something simular to the code below

<form>
                    <select onchange="document.getElementById('btn1').focus()">
                    <option value="1">1</option>
                    <option value="2">2</option>
                    </select>
                    <input type="button" id="btn1" name="btn1" value="click me" />
                    </form>

This code changes the focus a different field when a selection is made.
                    Actinic only puts in the name attribute so you need to fill in the id attribute and change the value "btn1" to for example "PAYMENTEXPYEAR".

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                      I had a look at some other sites, and some of the larger ones use radio buttons for payment methods rather than a drop down list - probably for this reason.

There's a section in the AUG for using radio buttons instead of a drop down list if you wanted to try it out.
                      This looks like a decent alternative although it wouldn't cure any errors made by the scrolling mouse when the expiry date is still selected (after inserting the date required). Anyone got it up and running all the same?

Another slightly less obvious change would be to have in bold text, perhaps slightly above the `submit` button, something along the lines of "Please check all details are correct before submitting the order, and errors may cause a delay in processing". Not sure at the moment exactly where to paste the extra text though, act order4 or something?
                      Football Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Kermy
                        This minor change tells the browser to cancel the default action of the mouse wheel while a select box is in focus. Options can only be selected by clicks or the keypad, not by scrolling.

Code:
                        <select onmousewheel="return false">
                        ...options here...
                        </select>

And where exactly would one insert this cheeky wee piece of code (so it only applied to the page in question, not the entire Catalog)?
                        Football Heaven

Comment

Go to 'Design | Text', click 'Go to' and enter an ID of 1951. You should highlight
                          Code:
                          <select name='PAYMENTMETHOD' size="1">
                          Add it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                            Go to 'Design | Text', click 'Go to' and enter an ID of 1951. You should highlight
                            Code:
                            <select name='PAYMENTMETHOD' size="1">
                            Add it in there.
                            That works for the Payment Method, but not the Card Choice, Start, and Expiry Dates.

Added to the various`select` codes within act order 02. Uploaded and all seems to be fine.

A recommended tweak.
                            Football Heaven

Comment

Anyone got it up and running all the same?
                              I implemented the AUG page 64 mod. as suggested. It was done in a couple of minutes and I haven't had a repeat of the 'wrong payment method' problem since.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X