Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site update; crucial question needing rapid answer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site update; crucial question needing rapid answer!

Hello,

I just completed updating a site for a client. Since I work on a my own machine, I did ask him to transfer to me his Site1 directory. Now I'm ready to transfer the updated directory back to him (in effect, the new directory will replace the old one). HOWEVER, how can I make sure that the orders he has received (the ones he has downloaded so far, ie: since the site is in operation) are not overwritten, or even blanked out, in the process? Because I'm assuming that when you download orders, they get stored in a file that stays within the Site1 directory, right?

Thanks

you need to transfer files using the snapshot facility, as there is a feature within snapshot to choose whether to overwrite orders or not.

I think the process will be you take a snapshot of your site - store it somewhere safe.

Client sends you his snapshot, you import it - including orders.

You then import your saved snapshot on top of this, without overwritting orders.

Result your snapshot, his orders.

Before you do this be very sure to take snapshots and backups etc etc just to ensure you can go backwards. I am pretty sure I have described the correct order but you may want to wait for someone else to confirm.

Comment

Well, thanks, but Actinic keeps on finding errors about missing files. The problem is that most of these files get generated when you update a website: they are on the server, and NOT in the Site1 directory where Actinic is hopelessly looking for them. I don't know why Actinic can't figure out that the files it is looking for are not even supposed to be in Site1. Is it dumb?

Comment

but Actinic keeps on finding errors about missing files. The problem is that most of these files get generated when you update a website:
        please give an example of a file that you think is actinic generated and show us the error message too - as this should not happen

I don't know why Actinic can't figure out that the files it is looking for are not even supposed to be in Site1.
        actinic will look for files according to the pathname you give it in the dialog boxes. ie if a file is outside site1 you will have defined the path within catalog.

Comment

Working...
        X