Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uploading on one Machine and Downloading on the other.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading on one Machine and Downloading on the other.

I have 2 machines on our network upon which we have set up Actinic Catalog 5. One is the main Actinic Catalog development machine (mine) and the other is set up for downloading orders only.

I would like to completely disable the ability to upload on the order processing only PC. I have followed the instructions in the Advanced User guide and removed all of the Act_*.html templates from the system, but when we try and run Catalog after doing this, it complains that it can't find the templates, asks us to click OK, and then closes itself down.

Help

Another thing that is also annoying is that when we retrieve orders, it throws up a message saying that the site has changed since the last time an upload was done. This is very true, as there has been more development on my PC since the initial transfer snapshot was done, and it asks would we like to refresh it. Can we stop this?

Just ignore the above please, I've just solved both problems

Comment

could you/would you tell me how, because that's one problem i'm anticipating. my company will, i think, be using actinic 5 (isp doesn't support 6) for our online ordering, and the machine receiving orders will be in another part of the country to our office.

until very recently i thought i'd have to get two licences.

i should explain, i'm a potential user, and in the process of evaluating the package before purchase.
      i'm out of bed and at the keyboard. what
      more do you want?

Comment

Sure, no problem. Always glad to help a fellow Phil

It's actually very straightforward. You simply install Actinic on both machines with the same Authorisation Key.

You then take a snapshot (which is an Actinic backup of the complete site) from the main development machine, and import it on the order processing machine. This fully duplicates your site on the order processing machine.

Select View>Business Settings and go into the Options tab. There are three checkboxes there under the heading 'Allow on this PC'

The three checkboxes are :

Catalog Maintenence
        Order Processing
        Design Changes

Deselect 'Catalog Maintenance' and 'Design Changes' on the order processing machine (and ensure Order Processing is selected), and make sure 'Order Processing' is deselected (and the other two selected) on the catalog development machine.

That way, your order processing machine simply processes orders, and your development PC updates the site and maintains the Catalog

Comment

fantastic, ta!
          i'm out of bed and at the keyboard. what
          more do you want?

Comment

Working...
          X