Win 2003 Server Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win 2003 Server Compatibility

Hi, since upgrading to a dual windows 2003 servers, when processing through the cart, the CGI Scripts timeout. Our hosting company have confirmed that it is definately because it is not totally compatible.

Has any one else found this. The problem is that it is intermitant.

We have generated a new site to test and have also deleted the cart files on the server and refreshed. Whilst the problem goes away, it is not ideal.

Patches anyone?

regards

brad

Wish I had a Quid for every time I said this. Actinic is compatible with Win servers but really struggles when running scripts.

I did post some tests before on the group.

I had my old "WIN" ISP check what was going on and the server cant release the memory used by the scripts correctly the more it is used the worse the problem can get.

It would save a lot a hassle if you ran your site on ULix
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

sorry to argue

hi there, wish i had a quid for every time i have said this....Actnic runs very sweetly on windows servers....we have never had any trouble and indeed only had trouble previously running unix servers with having to manually set permissions all the time....

i think the problem usually comes as ever from people trying to squeeze too many websites onto 1 server and that is where the problems start....

for example.... one of my busiest win2k servers has approx 150 websites with only about 20 of them hugely busy (well over 100GB of traffic per month) on there yet uses only 350mb of ram even at peak times....I personally know about the memory leaks that gary is on about because i had to configure the server correctly to overcome that ;-) and thats including the o/s overhead and all services...the machine has over 2gb of ram to go so there is tons of power left yet...and bandwidth aplenty, on our network you can still download a file from our site at over 1 true mb per second (38mb file=38 seconds download)...actually, sorry actinic, i usually use a full 38mb version download from your site to test speeds every now and then....but available bandwidth can also cause cgi timeouts...

the point being that we have almost stopped selling space on that server now as we have made our money and we like to ensure you are not getting timeouts or competing with too many other users for system resources...you pays for what you gets...

to be brutally honest, this is where we are far different from other hosting companys that simply allow everyone and anyone onto their servers....for example, we dont allow a sign up from our webpages for hosting as we like to 'vet' whose sites are on our server...we balance our servers extremely well and that means that no-one on our servers has any complaints about timeouts or scripts not working...im sorry, but for e-commerce sites/servers this is critical...

the main point though is that whilst we havent put a win2003 server live yet we are running two in production tests at the moment and there seems to be no issues with what actinic asks of them, they are running actinic fine.....fast even!!

Personally i would suggest that either your webhost is very busy, hasnt configured his new 2003 server correctly, or perhaps if this is only happening to you and not your customers that your own dial up settings are extremely slow, however you would probably realise this when other sites you were viewing were having problems...

sorry to hijack your post but i get sick of windows bashing all the time... ps... if you want to check out how commercially stable linux really is, then type SCO Lawsuit + IBM into a search engine....for those that want a quick edited opinion it seems that SCO commissioned a study into the phenomenal growth of linux as an operating system and found the code had been used from UNIX Illegally by IBM. This after all the screaming and shouting seems irrefutable with even developers comments copied....not clever..

Now I would love the open source software movement to grow and become more usable, but let me ask you this, do you really want to use software that absolutely everyone can see and manipulate the source code from? Do you want to use software that (judging from sco's lawsuit against ibm) could contain absolutely anything including many 'backdoors'....i mean, who did write the security module, did he have any security vetting, i.e. a police check etc...the answer is you dont know with open source...anyone can contribute code...that includes criminals...

Steve 'On SCO's side and a little smug for a change' Quinn
      Harlequin Domains
      www.harlequindomains.com
      0800 0832077

Comment

OOOOOo get you !!!!!

Comment

you better all watch out for katherine, she is fast taking over the harlequin toplist for cheeky customers...and i am wondering if i should tell ALL of my customers to come here or just certain ones...

be careful what you say kath, you know my finger might just slip when i press delete from the server.....

[JOKE!]Steve

ps. Im not meaning to sound uppity but as i say i would gladly put a standard/customised site onto any linux server you can get your hands on, and the same site on my windows server, and go to a third party such as netmechanic to time them..

you can use an empty linux server, and i will use a busy windows one, any time you choose or even multiple times...and we shall see who's the hosting daddy...

the gauntlet is down...

any linux host wanna take me on?? A fair fight is promised, and i think a little bit of fun...

Steve Quinn..

Comment

No one likes a smart arse you know.....

even if you do know what you are talking about, or does it just appear that way coz of all those long words!

Comment

ner ner ner ner ner, touche....

and actually, the people hosted on said smart***e's server cant stop telling smart***e JUST how good it is....

you yourself know that....i knew you were trouble....

anyway, i hope some super fast linux host embarresses me into getting our setup even faster...cant see it though....

ahahahaha

Comment

Little me trouble....never (rude icon no way is that eek!)

you wanted me, you know you sooooo wanted me!

Comment

errrr

im leaving, i dont actually know katherine, my names not steve, and i dont live at......

everyones gonna think we have something going or i have put you up to posting here....

stoppit....

Steve Quinn

Comment

As they say the truth is out there!

You judus, deny deny deny you said you would never deny me!!!

Comment

errrrr.

my names not Judas either....

its Bill, Mr Gates to you..

Comment

never said it was, HA! now who's stooooooopid!

Comment

being a woman I understand how important it is for you to have the last word, so off you go

Knock yourself out

see you tomorrow!

Comment

ok

Comment

Working...
                            X