Website pages running slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website pages running slowly

Hi, some pages of our website www.kerrybee.com are very slow opening, and the scrolling is terrible. For example it can take over 30 seconds to open and scroll to the bottom of the 'hosiery' page. However, the 'fancy dress and wigs' page opens quicker and scrolls much better even though there are more thumbnails on the page. This would seem to rule out the 'weight' of the pictures as the cause. I have noticed though that the fancy dress page does not have any components or attributes (and nor do the toys which scrolls well too) Could this have something to do with it? I want to revamp the site and need to sort this problem out first, and would be very grateful for any advice. I did try actinic help, but they just suggested making the images smaller, and a gut feeling says that will not fix it. Thanks, Mike

The whole site is VERY slow and hard to work - Im on 8 Meg. Hove you checked the server is not reducing your bandwith for some reason. Your images seem ok although you do have lots on a page but I would not really expect it to do this.

Has the site been ok or is this a new problem.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your comments, I'm glad it's not just me! I have spoken to the guy that built the site for me, and who provides the hosting, and whilst he is investigating, he just thinks making the pics a bit smaller will solve it. The site has been like this for some time, months, and I just put up with it, but I have had poor feedback from customers, and want to put it right. My business has dropped right off, and I suspect this is part of the problem.
      I am totally useless with anything 'computers', but he did send me this which is just gobbledygook to me.

Results for http://www.kerrybee.com/acatalog/lingerie.html
      Checked From Time (US/Central) Result KBytes Seconds Kbps
      Washington, DC (3 Mbps) 15:53:40 OK 100.15 4.33 185 Santiago, Chile (760 Kbps) 15:51:17 OK 100.15 6.83 117 Dortmund, Germany (5 Mbps) 15:51:12 OK 100.15 0.45 1,768 Los Angeles, CA (1.5 Mbps) 15:50:27 OK 100.15 11.66 69 Beijing, China (5 Mbps) 15:51:16 OK 100.15 9.58 84 Detroit, MI (5 Mbps) 15:09:49 OK 100.15 5.20 154 Chicago, IL (45 Mbps) 15:51:19 OK 100.15 4.73 169 St. Petersburg, Russia (5 Mbps) 15:51:17 OK 100.15 2.11 380 Gloucester, UK (5 Mbps) 15:51:17 OK 100.15 0.53 1,508 Sydney, Australia (5 Mbps) 15:51:16 OK 100.15 5.55 144

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Im running a site audit for you which may find something - i will email it to you at your info@

Comment

Your homepage is not Actinic and has lots of Flash including Flash navigation - is there a reason for this. Flash does take an age to load and may be part of the problem - I have seen dissjointed scrolling before with flash.

Comment

HI Ruralweb,

I had heard that flash could slow things up, but my site developer reckoned it was not a problem. I will get it removed I think.

Thanks again, and I look forward to your investigations. You can email me at mike@kerrybee.com too.

Regards, Mike

Comment

the index page takes so long to load, it is 309 kb, with one image being 90kb. (sinners image which is at the bottom of the page so not even seen by the mayority of visitors)

i found that the other pages loaded ok.

Comment

You should have the reports - You have lots of broken links and heavy pages showing - I would suggest that your flash navigation is the problem. I would also still checkout the host though.

Try reverting back to the standard Actinic navigation or just hard code the nav - The search engines cannot follow the flash links on your site so this is another reason to ditch them.

Comment

Hi Ruralweb,
                  I am overwhelmed by the information, many thanks, and my lack of understanding of it. I will contact you tomorrow if that's OK.

Regards, Mike

Hi Pinbrook,

I will re-size that image, thanks. Best regards, Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X