Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Picture Path Sitewide

Hi

I've builst a store on my PC, but will soon be transferring to a different PC, where the image paths will all be different - the image folder will be the same, but the Documents & Settings subfolder will be a different name.

So, what's the quickest way of changing the image paths sitewide?

Many thanks

Couple of ways - using Excel (or notepad even) in an export file or directly with the database using Access ... find and replace the old path with the new

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Better yet - move all the images inside the site folder before you move to the new PC. That way you will not have image path problems when you come to upload the site AND the images should all be in the site snapshot.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill - won't Gerard still need to update the paths either inside Actinic or externally as Actinic does not provide auto-updating if the paths change?

Bikster

Comment

@jont and gerard - yes, the paths will still need to be changed inside Actinic or externally in the database - bit is is quicker, easier and cleaner to remove all path data leaving only the image name (the scenario if all image files are stored directly in the site folder) rather than changing \Gerard\ to \Ralph\ in the middle of a path and then finding the site is still broken.
          Bill

Comment

many thanks for the replies i guessed it was something along these lines but this makes things a lot clearer.

is there any reason (for reasons of tidiness) i shouldn't make an images folder in the site file to have them all in one place?

Comment

Alot of us place all images in site1 folder - simply to make life easy.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                Alot of us place all images in site1 folder - simply to make life easy.
                sorry, i meant an images folder within the site 1 folder...

Comment

Storing images in a sub folder inside the site folder works - with one caveat.

Don't include the image folder name in any hand coded image tags. Actinic will not create an image subfolder on the website, all images will be stored in the /acatalog/ folder.

It is OK to have images\mypic.jpg in the 'Image Filename' box on a product - Actinic will ignore the path when it generates the site html pages, but use the path to find and upload the image.
                  Bill

Comment

I tend to place all product images into subfolders but any template images are always placed in the root of the site folder.

If you call any images via CSS you will also need to include a copy into the PreviewHTML sub-folder ... if you place these between single quotation marks Actinic will upload automatically without the need to assign to the additional files list.

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                    X