Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP with hosted mail server

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of moving to a new webhost, WestHost. Also, I recently contracted to have our email handled with AppRiver (an Exchange hosting service).

I am having trouble getting the SMPT authorization to complete. Some questions:

1. In this sort of arrangment, do I need to use the settings for the SMTP server of my webhost or my exchange host?

2. If I need to use the setting of my exchange host, then I also need to specify a different port number (2525) for smtp connections. How can I do this in Actinic?

Thanks,
    Jen

update

An update...

I've confirmed that my SMTP server is at my Exchange host... so, I am still just wondering if it's possible to change which port Actinic uses when verifying SMTP connectivity (#2 of my previous post).

By the way, I was able to upload the site nonetheless, and it is actually functioning properly -- I am able to place orders and I do receive a confirmation email. So what's the SMTP verification for anyway?

Thanks,
    Jen

Comment

smtp servers will often allow email to internal (i.e. on the same domain) address without authentication but will require authentication for external emails (to prevent email relaying).

You should be using your hosts smtp server to send emails from actinic.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information that the smtp server should be on the web host. I'll try that when the migration is complete.

My question about what the smtp verification is for was not about the smtp server process, but the actinic process of Testing the Network settings. When I click Test, I am told that my SMTP settings aren't correct, yet I can still successfully place an order and receive a confirmation email. It looks like Actinic is still functioning properly even though it failed the Test. I was just wondering why.

Not important, I guess, just curiosity.

Thanks again,
        Jen

Comment

When I click Test, I am told that my SMTP settings aren't correct, yet I can still successfully place an order and receive a confirmation email.
          i've seen this behaviour in the past, and never worked out why. Email has worked though

Comment

Working...
          X