Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dedicated hosting on 123-reg

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/dedicated-server-hosting/

we're considering this server, for dedicated hosting. Has anyone had any experience, with this pipex inclined dedicated host.

I have

I host with Webfusion, another Pipex child company and close affiliate with 123-Reg.

I can't really complain about the hosting - it's been pretty reliable, though a little up and down of late - 'Ahh, it's because you're on one of the old server boxes. We don't have any problems with the new ones.' I was reassuringly told by one member of the technical team. However in my experience they are, like most companies, very much fair-weather friends - great when things work and they don't have to do anything and poor when there's a problem and they need to resolve it ...

To cut a long story short, they made an administrative error that cost me money (spent with them on emergency additional hosting). It took 3 months of being passed from pillar to post to get it sorted and they finally accepted their mistake and offered me compensation worth about a 3rd of the money I'd had to spend with them to fix the problem in the first place. Call me old fashioned but I don't think it's right to profit from your own mistakes.

Comment

Personally I would not take a dedicated server from any of what I consider to be "the pile 'em high sell 'em cheap" hosts.

If you've got the money for a DS then get one from a more reputable hosting company that is more focused on business hosting rather than homesites - mainly to cover yourself for times when you need help.

Comment

the pile 'em high sell 'em cheap
        Sounds like a very shrewd way of saying 'go with me'.

Got any special deals for a fellow forum contributor?

Comment

No I am always careful not to say that....

I did think long and hard before I posted that anything I say could be construed that way.

I just think there are alot of people who buy cheap hosting, only to regret it when they have to contend for bandwidth or support. At least if I point out some of the potential pitfalls you will make a more informed decision.

Comment

*thread bump*

has anyone used these hosts?

Comment

Working...
            X