Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to configure a new 'site or sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to configure a new 'site or sites?

Using your existing webspace...

(the must be a couple of good threads already on this but I couldn't find 'em).

For a bonus point.... any potential problems?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

I tend to use the following configurations (for client site testing but it works)

www.site.com
    a.site.com
    b.site.com
    c.site.com

I simply create a folder at the same level as www and a subfolder cgi-bin and point Actinic to a.site.com (no www involved). The script id is changed between the sites to avoid potential clashes

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious here, but, why not just register new domain names, weba.co.uk, webb.co.uk rather than using a.web.co.uk, b.web.co.uk?
      The cost of domains is negligable these days, so is there some other reason for doing it the way you suggest Jont?

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
        I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious here, but, why not just register new domain names.... so is there some other reason for doing it the way you suggest Jont?
        The OP stated "Using your existing webspace" hence the solution provided.

I agree though - if you are not limited to using your own webspace then a bespoke URL would be a much neater solution all round

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
          I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious here, but, why not just register new domain names, weba.co.uk, webb.co.uk rather than using a.web.co.uk, b.web.co.uk?
          The cost of domains is negligable these days, so is there some other reason for doing it the way you suggest Jont?
          I'm also not sure of the benefit of subdomains. I have multiple domains each with their own web directory in my server space as it's root. Each one also has it's own cgi-bin etc. Works fine. I guess it depends whether you want related sites or not.

Comment

It is for new domain names if that makes any difference chaps!

One site will be related with similar products to the original.

The other two may be totally different.

"Using your existing webspace..."

And the above comment is because I have quite a bit of unused space.

(Especially once the amazing Clara error file gets deleted on a regular basis)
            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

if its a website in its own right then its best to have its own domain name

or testing purposes, sub folders and subdomains work well

but it all comes down to budget, and how many domains your host will allow you to host within one acct.

some allow multiple domains, some allow multiple sub domains

they all allow mutliple folders

Comment

Working...
              X