Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice about Arelis ftp upload

Hi

I am thinking of using Arelis to manage my link pages but I am not sure where to upload the link pages to within my Actinic V7 site?

Within the Create Link Pages wizard in Arelis it asks the following question:

Directory to which the link pages should be uploaded:
    and the text field is set to:

/
    I think this should be something like /root or /public but I am not sure?

Any advice would be apprecaited!

Paul
    KJ Beckett
    Men's Clothing & Accessories
    Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
    Bath, England
    Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
    Men's Fashion Blog

I don't know what Arelis or 'link pages' are, and the structure of your website will depend to an extent on whether you are using windows or linux hosting, but with both, the majority of your Actinic pages will be in the /acatalog/ folder.

If you tell us what these link pages do for you, we might be better able to evaluate your options.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi

Sorry I should of clearer.

Aeris simply helps manage links. It builds pages of html with links on them.

Therefore all I am really doing is trying to upload some non-Actinic html pages.

I have gone into my ftp area using IE and I am not sure which folder I should keep these html pages in? Home and public being my main two options?

Paul
      KJ Beckett
      Bath, England
      Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

If you are going to link to these pages from your Actinic store, then it is probably easier to put them in the /acatalog/ folder - then all you need as an address in the link you build is the filename (eg mylinks.html).

If you store them elsewhere, you have the problem of working out the correct relative path - or treating them like an external link using the fully qualified path.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I think this should be something like /root or /public but I am not sure
          I use Arelis a lot and I always place the link pages in the same folder as the Actinic index. If you put them in the actinic folder there is a very small chance that pages will overwrite each other.

Also make sure you name the arelis index page "links" or similar NOT index as it will overwrite the actinic index.

Comment

Hi

I wont be using the Actinic store to upload these pages. Arelis uploads them directly into the ftp.kjbeckett.com area. At present Arelis is set to upload to:

/
            which is the highest level folder. As such the Arelis pages of html such as linkpage1.html is in the highest level folder - not any of the subfolders. But such they aren't showing on my site when I type in www.kjbeckett.com/linkpage1.html.

Therefore I think I need to ftp them into a sub folder but I can't figure out where? I think it should be /root/ or /index/.

Paul
            KJ Beckett
            Bath, England
            Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

I wont be using the Actinic store to upload these pages. Arelis uploads them directly into the ftp.kjbeckett.com area
              I know this. Arelis always defaults to / - you can upload to here if you want as all the actinic bits are elsewhere. If you have ftp access you can create a folder called links and upload to there.

Comment

Ssi

I found the best way to use Arelis was to use server side include. (SSI)

If you set up a brochure page and name it something like "partners.shtml" or "associates.shtml" as opposed to "links". Note the Shtml is required for the server side.

There is a lot of discussion about links pages carrying less weight if they are just called links and just contain loads of links.

The page should be set as text only.
                In the description use the HTML include to put the page call details.

Now when you upload and make changes with actinic it will always include the page.

With your Arelis you are always uploading to the same place too.

I do have a working example of this somewhere that I can set up for viewing.
                If you are interested then let me know and I will sort it out.

I am not sure how effective the type of linking is now and if there are not better methods around. Google has changed a lot recently (last few months).
                That is for another discussion though.
                Curtain Poles

Comment

I found the best way to use Arelis was to use server side include
                  Sounds like you are using an old version of Arelis, the new version includes ftp and auto template generation so it is much easier than previous versions.

The place to upload it will also depend on your server structure eg with webfusion you upload to the public_html directory. There should be no need to do anything inside actinic.

Comment

Hi and thanks.

If you have ftp access you can create a folder called links and upload to there.
                    If I create a links folder and place it at the highest level then point Aerlis towards /links/ then do an upload should I be able to see the pages without anymore action? I dont need to put the links folder into root or index?

Paul
                    KJ Beckett
                    Bath, England
                    Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

highest level then point Aerlis towards /links/ then do an upload should I be able to see the pages without anymore action
                      It depends on how your server is set up - basically the arelis folder needs to go in the same folder as acatalog eg public_html, htdocs etc.

If you post you network settings it may be clearer how your server is setup.

Comment

Thanks.

My network path on Actinic is:

/public/www/acatalog/

so I tried uploading to:

/public/www/

which was successful but the pages aren't showing on the web.

I am going to try and create a folder called links in /www and then upload to:

/public/www/links/

Paul
                        KJ Beckett
                        Bath, England
                        Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

which was successful but the pages aren't showing on the web.
                          They will be there - do you have ftp so you can look at the server. What is the name of the links index page you set in arelis.

Comment

Doh!

The name of the page is links.htm but I was typing in link.html.

Yes they are there at http://www.kjbeckett.com/links.htm

Many thanks for your help!

Paul
                            KJ Beckett
                            Bath, England
                            Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

No problem. If you have the new version try the pages with the optional thumbnail image it makes the pages look much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X