problems with smtp for 1and1 host server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with smtp for 1and1 host server

Hi I am very new to actinic software. I wonder if any of you good people out there can help me with a problem setting up e-mail on the catalogue.

I recently signed up to a 1and1 Linux hosting package. They state on there site that their e-mail settings are as follows:

Incoming server (IMAP) imap.1and1.co.uk | | Info
    Incoming server (POP) pop.1and1.co.uk | | Info
    Outgoing server (SMTP) auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk

In network settings it asks for "SMTP server" so that it can use the server to send various mails to you and your customers when a purchase is made. When i enter auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk an error message appears staying that it is not a valid server address. Just to clarify i have set up an admin e-mail that uses the same url as the acatalog website location.

I called customer services at "1and 1" and told them that actinic said that this is an invalid server address and they gave me the following details

SMTP server: smtp.1and1.co.uk
    mx00.1and1.co.uk
    mx01.1and1.co.uk

They said that the outgoing SMTP would definitely be one of the above addresses and that I would need to use the user name and password for the specific e-mail address that would receive the test mail.

I entered all there and keep receiving the same message:

"The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server".

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
    server: passed
    connection: failed
    sockets: passed
    communications: failed
    authorisation: failed

I have tried all possible combinations but it still doesn’t work. Has anyone had any experience with the "1and1" hosting package? I have managed to up load the catalogue to my web space and the SSL area is working fine but I cannot test it because the e-mail function is not working. I even tried entering the settings from my previous hosting company “net benefit” which worked perfectly well but because I have up loaded the catalogue to a new server the same error message appears.

I have spent over 2 hours on the phone to them and they keep telling me that it’s a problem with actinic. I have called the actinic customer services and they tell me that it’s a problem with my hosting company. They have also recommended that I explain my problem in the actinic forum and here I am. Can any one help please? Am I missing something?

If you do a search there are many threads about email settings but generally "localhost" works on most setups.

Comment

I always use the long-winded auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk
      If you use this, it should work without requiring autentication.

I found the abbreviated auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk address to fail with Actinic.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

excelent advice

Thanks mate you are a life saver. It worked first time. When I become a total expert on actinic software I will help 10 times as many people as have helped me.

Kindest posible regards

colin d

Comment

Same problem

Hi there,

I followed this thread with interest as I am having the exact problem with it not recognising the 1 & 1 mail server. I waited eagerly to see if Norman's suggested 'oneandone' fix would work for me but sadly not, although I do now get a new error message:

Mail server messages:

220 mrvnet.kundenserver.de ESMTP Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:55:20 +0100

Failed 1 - Response: 220 mrvnet.kundenserver.de ESMTP Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:55:20 +0100

421 mrvnet.kundenserver.de lost input connection

Does this shed any more light on what my exact problem is?

Thanks,

Mat

Mail server messages:

220 mrvnet.kundenserver.de ESMTP Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:55:20 +0100

Failed 1 - Response: 220 mrvnet.kundenserver.de ESMTP Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:55:20 +0100

421 mrvnet.kundenserver.de lost input connection

Comment

Can you confirm that the email address entered in Business Settings is an authorised address on your domain email, and that in the Network settings you do NOT have the authetication required box ticked and also do NOT have username and password in the email boxes.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Mat just emailed me. He's actually using V6 which doesn't support Authentication. However I just retested a V6 site using auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk and it worked fine.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
              X