How to get a variable from URL to Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a variable from URL to Actinic

How do those 'URL variables' work, and can I use them on an actinic page?

You know the ones, where you get something like -

www.mydomain.com/index.html&something=10&somethingelse='hello'

I'm guessing it can't work on a standard actinic page as they are precompiled, but maybe on an actinic page that's been renamed as PHP? or maybe html with embedded java or something?
    John

Hello

Sorry for the delay. Can you please give us a little more explanation about what you wish to achieve here? Do you wish to display the URLs on the site or extract a URL from the variables for a diff purpose?
    Krithika Chandrasekar
    SellerDeck

sigpic

E-commerce software by SellerDeck

Comment

I have a piece of information that I want to pass from page to page, and be able to use that information within the page using some type of dynamic code such as php or java or something similar.

I've seen URL's using those '&' signs and they are obviously passing variables to something so that variable can be displayed/processed/recorded/whatever.

I'm just wondering if those variables are only accessible through perl (if so how) or if they can be seen by php/java etc.
      John

Comment

Hello

Here is some information that could nudge you in the right direction:

Parameters can be added to the end of a URL but they should be encoded. The first parameter must be preceded by a question mark (?) and subsequent parameters are preceded by an ampersand (&). All parameters are of the form Name=Value.
        Name must be alpha-numeric without spaces. Value must be
        enclosed in quotes if it contains spaces.
        Actinic passes variables to perl scripts, you could see the URLs generated for 'View Cart' and 'Checkout' for reference.

Parameters can also be passed to the browser in the same way and they
        can be read using Javascript in the target HTML page.

Hope this helps.
        Krithika Chandrasekar
        SellerDeck

sigpic

E-commerce software by SellerDeck

Comment

In the case of PHP, such parameters are made available in the $_REQUEST array. So all you'd need to get the bit from &somethingelse='hello' would be

<?php
          $param = $_REQUEST['somethingelse'];
          echo "somethingelse contains $param";
          ?>
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
          X