Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create product that doesn't appear on menus

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find any relevant threads.

Is it possible to create a section or product that can be bought by people who come to that particular page through a link, but won't be seen by anyone else?

My thinking was that it would be a normal actinic page, but not appear on any of Actinic's menus.

I've tried to do this with hidden products and hidden sections, and it doesn't work as they don't appear when you visit the page.

Any help much appreciated.

Hiding products removes them from the system - you need the products / section there but not show as part of the main navigation.

How you achieve this depends on your theme / navigation in place. With most of the themes the solution is to bury the products into a subsection section - use an invisible GIF as the section image and use no text for the section name. This will still be shown in the sitemap but will minimisethe number of users finding the page not via the direct link.

Customer accounts may also be used to hide items from no registered customers but this is not as seemless and requires pre-authorised accounts to be set up and may bnot be of use for a general advertising campaign / promotion

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

You could hide the product by using a customised Product Template that has everything commented out as below.
      Code:
      <!-- ProductLineInvisible HTML begin -->
      <!-- Insert HTML for the top of the individual product -->
      <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html -->
      NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR

<!--
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE
      NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEBEGINXML
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREF
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRICEEXPLANATION
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE
      NETQUOTEVAR:DISCOUNTINFO
      NETQUOTEVAR:OTHERINFOPROMPT
      NETQUOTEVAR:DATEPROMPT
      NETQUOTEVAR:CARTERRORXML
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTQUANTITY
      NETQUOTEVAR:ADDTOCARTBUTTON
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTDESCRIPTION
      NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK
      NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINK
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTLINKTEXT
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTENDLINK
      NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML
      NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMEND
      -->

NETQUOTEVAR:NEXT
      <!-- ProductLineInvisible HTML end -->
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman - I must be having a bad day - how would that template allow the item to be added to the cart or are you thinking about using the "add to cart from anywhere on the internet" technique?

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Whoops. I didn't think that through. I thought the original poster wanted to do the "Add to Cart from Outside Actinic" bit. However you could still do this as follows.

Use a Section containing the Product using a normal template. Temporarily copy all other product to some other temp Section. You now have a page containing just the one product. Update the website. Now FTP to the server and rename that particular page to something new and unique.

Now copy back all the normal products to the Section, change the special product to use the invisible template and Update again.

You now have an isolated page that contains this product and a valid Section containing your usual product with the special one hidden.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

Before I try them, does anyone know if upgrading to Actinic Business (we're using Catalouge at the moment) would enable me to do this more easily?

Comment

Not particularly - all the suggestions given are available in Actinic Catalog.

Comment

Working...
              X