Waste of space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste of space

Having added and deleted products and sections over a 6 year period, my site1 folder as you can imagine is rather cluttered.

Is there a simple way of getting rid of images etc which are not needed any longer? The site one folder has grown to a wapping 2gb!

Have a look at the sizes of ActinicCatalog.mdb, Previous.mdb and Backup.mdb. They can grow very large over time and Housekeeping / Compacting Database will fix that. Make a backup of all of Site1 before doing anything drastic though.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I had a similar issue picking up from a previously designed V6 site. I went into the product pictures folder, sorted them by date order and just deleted a whole years worth (from 2004 for example), i then tried a test upload and actinic told me which images were missing. Of the 400 i deleted, there was only 3 i needed, i went to recycle bin, restored these 3 photos and within 10 minutes i had got rid of 397 that i did not need.

The photos for the new site were all 200x150 so i could also sort on the image size column and get everything together that was not this size. Once again delete them all and then replace the ones that are needed, once actinic tells you.

Comment

Another idea

Thanks Norman, will try that in the morning.

Just a thought.. chaps

I assume when a product is deleted from the catalogue, the photo file etc is deleted from the server during upload or site refresh?

If so, the the only image files I need will be stored on the website. Therefore, if I delete all image files from server then refresh I should end up with only the pictures I need?

Then, delete all images in Site1 folder, afterwards copying pictures from the server back to site1.

Long winded I know......... but?

Comment

certainly sounds viable if it is images that are most of your wasted space.

Comment

Post #4.

No guarantee the image file will get removed. It is much more likely that it will not. Only way to be sure only essential files used in the current site are on the server is to do a fresh upload to empty space (perhaps in test mode for a less drastic effect on the live site).

This would be a good source for a list of needed images, but I would not recommend deleting the high quality originals from the desktop and making another lossy copy from the lossy copy on the website - the main result of going that way will be a reduction in image quality on your site.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Another idea ( variant)

Thanks Wj and Bill,

I see what you mean...... the images are fairly small however, so don't think the loss of quality ( if any would be too high)

Comment

Working...
              X