X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defunct files in image folders

Hi

Sorry to post a possibly stupid question but we have over the years built
    up a huge Actinic image folder (Thumb, Regular and Large) which is getting to be a drain on the system.

Can someone tell us:

1 - When you delete a product from your catologue does it delete all related
    images etc from your local folders too

2 - Does the product and related images get deleted from your server too

Or as we assume do the image files remain in your respective folders locally and on the server - but the product just doesn't appear on your site?

If this is the case is there a way of determining which files are needed by the
    site and which aren't therefore allowing you to remove all old defunct files?

Any advice help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

James

Hi James

Actinic doesn't delete any files on your PC or on the server when you delete a product.

They only way to ensure that only the images you need are on the server and on the PC is to...

1) Take a snapshot of your site and then import it onto another PC. Actinic will only include the files you need in the snapshot.

2) You can also delete all the images in your online store and do a 'Web | Refresh Website' and only the live images will be included.

Obviously this will affect the appearance of your online store adversely - but it's one way of making sure only current files are present on the webserver.

Comment

Do you think this would work?

This I found on the forum what do you think....

I had a similar issue picking up from a previously designed V6 site. I went into the product pictures folder, sorted them by date order and just deleted a whole years worth (from 2004 for example), i then tried a test upload and actinic told me which images were missing. Of the 400 i deleted, there was only 3 i needed, i went to recycle bin, restored these 3 photos and within 10 minutes i had got rid of 397 that i did not need.

The photos for the new site were all 200x150 so i could also sort on the image size column and get everything together that was not this size. Once again delete them all and then replace the ones that are needed, once actinic tells you.

Comment

Yep - that's one way to do it. Although I would move all the images to a different folder, rather than deleting them

Comment

Working...
        X