Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling Actinic v7 - how to get back to where I was

Hi all,

It looks as though I might have to wipe my hard disk (I think I have corrupted Windows) and reinstall all my programs. I do have full Norton Ghost backups but I think instead I'll just reinstall Windows afresh and install my other programs and necessary files on top.
    Now with regard to reinstalling Actinic v.7, so that I can get back to exactly where I was with my site with all the orders present and correct, I was wondering if someone could hold my hand and take me through the correct procedure.

My current plan is to:

1) Do a site snapshot last thing before wiping disk.
    2) Copy all the security keys in Housekeeping - Security.
    3) Back up my complete Actinic v7 folder within Program Files, including Site1 and the Digital Download files within.

Upon wiping drive, will reinstalling Actinic from the CD-ROM and then importing the snapshot be sufficient to get back to where I was, or will there be other things to bear in mind? Should I replace the folders that Actinic v.7 reinstalls (for example BACKUP, Extensions, OCCUpgrade, Sites, SSLUpgrade) with the folders I have backed up in 3) above, or is that going to confuse matters? I have in the past had to make changes to some files in the OCCUpgrade folder etc., so I hope that I can replace the reinstalled folders with the backed-up ones.
    Also, what do I do with the Housekeeping keys?!

Anyhow, if anyone can help give a blow by blow account of how I get back to precisely where I was, I should be very grateful.

Paul

If all your site files are within Site1 then the Snapshot should do the entire job for you.

The Site1 backup and Housekeeping / Security info is all else you need (plus any images that you keep outwith Site1) and is your belt-and-braces in case the Snapshot doesn't work.

In this case you install Actinic then replace the demo Site1 with your backed up one, then copy / paste the housekeeping / security info in.

Another bit of info worth noting down is the exact version number (Help / About) so you can be sure you're installing the same version as before.

Another thing you could do before a full system reinstall would be to install Actinic and your Snapshot onto a different computer as a test that the Snapshot / Reinstall will work OK.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thank you very much Norman, that has put my mind at rest. I'll note the Security Info and also the version number as you suggest (and probably also the Network Settings to be on the safe side).

Much appreciated,

Paul

Comment

Working...
      X