X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Upload???

Hi All,

major problem i cannot not upload for some reason,

when actinic is checking all files is goes down to sending base where it is tring to send "bb000001.pl" and it comes up with a timed out message which will not go away!

then press cancel and it keeps on doing to same thing?

i am no guru but i dont have a actinic home page ( due the lack of being able to change it easliey) but could this be a cause?

if so its very odd as i have it for about 2 months now and only promlems persist within the last week or so?

kind regards

bb00001.pl is the first of the perl files that go in the cgi-bin folder.
    Something may have changed on your server (this can happen if your host performs an upgrade). Try running the Network Settings Test. Check the permissions on the cgi-bin folder (should be 755). Search this forum for 'server upload problem'

Alan Compton
    www.greenknightgames.co.uk
    Great board games and cards games you won't find in the High Street
    http://www.greenknightgames.co.uk/ac...er_Game_7.html
    Khet - The Laser game - its like chess, but with a couple of Class 1 lasers!

Comment

hi and thanks,

just to clarfiy network settings is this in advanced? if it is it is shaded in so i cant click it?

also how do i check thoese files to see if it is 755?

sorry for the dumb questions i am not that good with actinic!!

thanks

alex

Comment

We sometimes get this when swapping Actinic from one computer to another (sometimes I work from home, sometimes I don't). No idea why it happens but I found if you wait till it times out, then close Actinic, then try again it always works.
        Miranda Stamp
        Twinkle Twinkle
        www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk
        Cloth nappies, natural toiletries, organic baby clothing, potty training aids, slings and more...

Comment

thanks miranda,

i just tried that and it seems to not have worked arrhhhhhh!!!

very very frustrated as i know it is something simple but have no idea what it is?

regards

Comment

Hi there

Couple of things to check:

1. In Actinic, go to "Advance | Network Setup", click on "TEST". Here see if it is successful, if it isn't then tell us what the error message says.

2. Check with your hosting company, the permission of /acatalog/ folder should be 777, and the /cgi-bin/ folder be 755. They can do this for you.

If the above is fine then timeout messages come from the server, so maybe an idea to contact your hosting company and tell them to increase the length of the timeout, or check to see if there is any issue with your server.

The only other problem is that it is possible you are on a shared server, which at this busy time, an increase in traffic is causing the timeout. If this is the case, then you would need to ask them to move you to another server,

Hope this information is useful

Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

hi nadeem,

thanks for your help i think it may be that i am on a shared hosting server which i now know is not good!

do you know any good hosting companys ( dedicated )?

also with regards to the network st up bit i am unable to click on it as it is shaded in??

once again thanks

Comment

A lot of sites on shared hosting are suffering at present due to the increased activity of christmas shopping.

You may find that after Xmas your site performs ok, but I would monitor the situation with a view to moving to better shared hosting or dedicated.

Comment

This kind of thing can also happen when a host changes settings, for example after upgrading the server software.

There are two things I'd check before thinking about moving hosts.

1. Ftp into your website with an ftp program and look at the permission settings of the cgi-bin and acatalog. (this can often be done in the ftp program by right clicking on the file and selecting 'permissions' from a drop down box). As discussed above they should be 755 or 777 not 644.

2. If 1 looks OK then try changing your actinic network settings away from passive ftp (if set) or vice versa. Again, sometimes web hosts change their settings due to security issues.

Mike
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X