Dynamic Converter - UTF-8 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Converter - UTF-8 ??

Has anybody had any experience installing www.dynamicconverter.com ?

I'm having a problem, which they say can be resolved by:

"We are unable to determine the charset of the page. If you can get your designer to not send your pages as UTF-8 that should fix it."

Anybody had similar experiences, or know where i should start to fix the UTF-8 issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Oddly I was looking at this just a couple of days ago. I have it working OK on test sites in V7 and V8. To test I added the js code to Act_Primary in V7 and to the outer layout in V8 (I did not add it to the footer text as they said). I Didn't see any unicode issues - are you using any odd characters?

I was, and still am, not sure whether to go ahead and use the converter - I don't like being dependant on another site for my prcing. I'm also not sure what happens if the DC site is unavailable.

Anybody actually using it on a live site?

Comment

Dynamic Converter is working at my site and to be honest, works extremely well! Their previous code did not work for UTF-8 pages, now they have re-written the code so it will work with multiple charsets and it works a dream! Multi-currency support works on every page including all of the checkout pages!

Customer just clicks "convert" and it adds a converted price (underneath the base currency) according to data from www.xe.com - Very clever stuff! Simple to install! Just one line into Actinic's footer menu (Design>Options>Shop Defaults>Footer) and the free currency converter for Actinic is installed! Not bad at all! Only downside is you have a small ad at the bottom of your pages, but I believe you can pay to have this removed if it bothers you.

If anyone wants our site URL to see the convertion in action then email me personally and I will send it over so you can see how it works.

Best wishes,

Jan

Comment

You get a certain amount of "free convertions" every month, but when these run out it disappears from your site until the start of the next month. This has not happened to us yet though as it is a new site. But either way, you are not relying on them for any prices, just for convertion...

Jan

Comment

Quite a lot of conversions though...

It's worth pointing out that the quota is 10,000 per month on the FREE account, and that is page views, not conversions, so if you have 10 conversions on one page, it only counts as one conversion.

I've just been looking at it, and, as it is free, does loads of currencies (I'm looking at using four) and my shop doesn't currently get the numbers that would make it run out... it's very favourable.

Anyone know anything better than this?

(No, I don't work for them! Anyone wanting a link - it's here: http://dynamicconverter.com/)
          Kind regards,
          Phil Benjamin

Want to de-stress as you use SellerDeck software?
          http://www.ursulajamesstore.com

Comment

Persevering with multiple currencies via Dynamic Converter

Hey y'all,

I'm trying to get Dynamic Converter working with my site. Actually it does work already.

It always puts the new currency after the original currency, either something like this, on the same line:
            £5.67 ($2.34)

or like this, on a separate line:
            £5.67
            ($2.34)

A limitation seems to be that you cannot swap between the two. Either everywhere on your site it appears on the same line or everywhere it appears on a separate line.

If you look at this page of mine (on the test site) you'll see where this becomes a problem. Does anyone have any experience with this, or ideas how to ensure that I can choose to have it either way?

Many thanks,
            Phil
            Kind regards,
            Phil Benjamin

Comment

Phil,

I use DynamicConverter (DC) and had the same problem on my site. On occasion it through out the whole appearance of a page.

I found that there is an over-ride facility that does work and for specific instances it can force the alternate currency to appear differently (either in-line or next line). However, the draw-back is that you also need to hardcode the price into the over-ride command line. I contact DC support and they confirmed that this was the only way to do it.

That option didn't work for me as I wanted to do this for all products and our price changes too often to hard-code it into the page. So in the end, I decided to have some prices which didn't display an alternate currency price. That is also an override that you put in around the specific price that is not to show a conversion.

Hope this info helps a little.

Laura
              http://www.lembrassa.com
              Designs for the Fuller Bust

Comment

Thank you

Hi there,

Thank you for at least confirming my beliefs.

I did find the workaround, and - considering that it is such a good and free service - I will be using that too.
                Kind regards,
                Phil Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                X