Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exporting an actinic site onto another computer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting an actinic site onto another computer..

Hello All, Happy New Year!

I was wondering if someone could help me, im new to actinic so bear with me!

A friend has asked me to work on her actinic site that she had built. She gave me her FTP details for her site (which i have downloaded) and i have tried and failed to import it into actinic (into the root folder).

Im not sure if im doing anything wrong, and im not sure how else to do it!

Hope that someone can help me!

Thanks a lot

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.

To import onto your machine she needs to do a snapshot and send that to you - you can then import the snapshot into your copy of Actinic to work on the files. You can't download the site from the server as Actinic works by compiling the database with the myriad of templates and other bits to form the online pages.

When finished you need to export the snapshot and she will import - ensuring if any orders have been received in the interim she does not tick the option to override orders during the import.

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Actinic creates static html pages, so the files you have downloaded are pretty useless. You need to install the software and then import a snapshot off her existing system. Actinic creates the html files and then uploads them to the web server.

Comment

Two answers for the price of none and in under 15 minutes of posting

Bikster

Comment

And both missing an essential piece of information. It is absolutely essential that the version you import the snapshot into is exactly the same version your friend is using, so before doing anything you need to check that - Help - About, and note the letters as well as the numerical version data.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Oh ok thank you very much fellas,

i'll have to get her to do that tommorrow. I thought that by helping her i will be able to learn actinic in more detail!

Thanks again! its much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
              And both missing an essential piece of information.
              .... and that after she imports she will need to upload the site again to sync the local and remote version - hence no need for you to upload.

May be worth searching the forum on swapping computers as several other minor issues could arrise but the above have covered just about everything.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyJay
                I thought that by helping her i will be able to learn actinic in more detail!
                Welcome to the uphill struggle and just wait until you start on the nested Act_Templates and NETQUOTEVARS

Always worth scanning the forum as just about every v7 issues has been covered at some point along with tips and tricks.

Bikster

Comment

Lol it sounds like fun!... Thanks for your help Jont!

I will have a look at the forum, it seems to have a lot of helpful information/people!

Have a good Evening Everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X