Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Search Words

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how i can add hidden search words to my products.

Thank you
    www.rollsroycecarparts.co.uk
    Genuine & Alternative parts for Rolls Royce and Bentley Cars

Actinic will only index search words for pages/fragments and products as defined in the search setttings. It is not recommended that you try and hide words from users - Google and the likes do not like hidden text.

One solution is perhaps to add these 'hidden' words as part of your text for the products or perhaps in fragments that contain links to the products.

Try a search on the forum for 'search words' or similar as this has been mentioned by a number of people before and the replies may help.

Comment

Google and the likes do not like hidden text.
      I agree with this sentiment, if you can't use a word to describe a product ie in product or section description then why should Google index your page for that word?

The answer is to be more creative in the method you use to ensnare visitors/spiders to these words. ie don't use underhand methods such as hiding keywords, but come out into the open with them

Often you can use extra brochure pages/fragments

I've had a quick look at your site I chose a random product
      Rolls Royce Bentley > Rolls Royce and Bentley Car Parts > Rolls Royce and Bentley Exhaust Systems > Shadow 1 / Bentley T 1

the product info here is held in an image - this needs to be text for the SE to index

I also noticed that none of your sections have text.

Thus add section text, remove product info using images and you will be adding all the keywords you need - this will all be done in the "correct" manner and will serve you well in years to come

Comment

Is there a way to hide text purely for the in built Actinic search facility that will not have a negative effect on SEO.

For example item is described as "Fairy Bookmark" customer search for Bookmarks and no results are found.

Actinic only searches product name as when I allow for extended info to be searched then the results it returns are not acceptable. For instance if someone searches for "silver ring" it may well show 300 pairs of earrings because each says in the extended information that a matching silver ring is available.

Any ideas?
        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
        Zirconium Rings
        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Upgrade to V8 and create your own searchable variables.

Comment

I am on V8, Just tagged my message on to an existing thread as I didn't think it was version specific.

I don't understand how variables would work over so many products. Basically I would want the search to find singular items when a plural was searched for and for different ways of spelling a word such as key ring, key rings, keyring, keyrings, key-ring and key-rings. All are typed in to my search box and most return no valid results and the customer then goes elsewhere.

Many thanks
            Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
            Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

I've no idea if this applies to V8 or not, but I seem to remember that one way of doing this (as suggested in the past on thsi forum) was to add the search words to the extended product description and make that searchable.

Have a search around the forum and see if you can find anything.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

This thread http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=3974 will help your plural searches problem.

Comment

Paul,

Many thanks, I have searched high and low for this to no avail.

It would appear that the script knocks the last letter off so that plurals do not result in no products being found.

Works a treat.

Kind regards

Jason
                  Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
                  Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Working...
                  X