Moving from one PC to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from one PC to another

Laptop arrives tomorrow so I can lock myself away and get on with our actinic site.

I am going to install Actinic on the laptop then uninstall it from my PC.
    What is the safest way to move over the files I have been working on?
    Can I export it all?
    Actinic will end up back on the PC at some stage (I'm only going on to the laptop to literally lock myself away and take 1600 photos!).

Ian

Export a Snapshot - This should include all files needed to continue with the store on another computer.

PS: I'd wait for an official response incase you need to take down any serial numbers etc...

Thanks,

Kris
    Chris Owens
    Cannings
    Actinic Support Subscriber
    On behalf of <a href="http://www.cannings.co.uk/">www.cannings.co.uk</a>

Comment

snapshot is probably the way to go. just leave the copy on the PC until you are sure everything is working on the laptop.

Not sure if snapshots need to be the same patch level though...

Comment

Hi Ian

A snapshot is definitely the way to go with version 6. It transfers not only the files in your site directory but also the security information held in Housekeeping. With version 6, you can import a snapshot into a newer v6, but it will trigger the site upgrader, so the best option, especially if you will be transferring back to the PC at some stage, is to keep the versions the same on both machines.

Ben
        Ben Popplestone
        Ecommerce website software

Comment

Some care is required pre-6.1.3

There were a few minor issues with snapshots prior to v6.1.3 (a few, very few, files were missed out). These issues have all been resolved in the latest version. So it is definitely worth upgrading before transfering to the laptop.
          Chris Brown

Comment

Working...
          X