X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1and1 dedicated servers

Has anyone seen their prices lately ?
    £29 pm for a dedicated server

This cannot be right, unless things have changed that much since I last looked.

Im having server problems again and I think its time to get away from shared hosting for good.

Mick
    Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

I believe buspassjohn has prezziesplus on a 1and1 dedicated server. You could try sending him a PM and seeing if he's happy with it.

I keep thinking about one of their managed servers at £49 but the performance on the Business pro package is fine for me at the moment so there's no real need to upgrade yet.

mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Decision time

Thanks Mike,

Im definitely moving to either vps or dedicated but cannot make my mind up. My understanding is that vps will still mean sharing cpu and memory with others whilst dedicated means sharing nothing.

I had problems with 1and1 before but that price is very tempting and hard to ignore.

The difference is that the cheap dedicated box is no where near as high spec as the cheap vps box that ive been offered.

Bottom line is that im only prepared to move to a company that actually owns a uk datacenter which limits my choice to a few companies.

Mick
      Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by newshopbloke
        Thanks Mike,

Im definitely moving to either vps or dedicated but cannot make my mind up. My understanding is that vps will still mean sharing cpu and memory with others whilst dedicated means sharing nothing.
        that is correct, vps means you share with less people than conventional shared hosting

I had problems with 1and1 before but that price is very tempting and hard to ignore.
        too me it is too cheap, I can not see how 1&1 can offer this as a sustainable product, if they are charging £348 pa how much do you think the server is costing them?

The difference is that the cheap dedicated box is no where near as high spec as the cheap vps box that ive been offered.
        there is truth in the premise that a DS will require less of a spec as you aren't having to share it

Bottom line is that im only prepared to move to a company that actually owns a uk datacenter which limits my choice to a few companies.Mick
        I thought 1&1 were in germany?

If you are seriously considering this then also consider.....

who will manage the server
        is there any antivirus/spam filter builtin to the package
        is there a firewall
        what back up facility is there
        if the only HD fails how long will it take to replace it

Comment

Thanks for that info,

1and1 are claiming that they also have a uk datacenter, but im not sure I want to believe what the bloke on the other end of the line told me !

Your absolutely right about running a dedicated server and I would imagine 1and1's super cheapo will cost me a fortune if I suffer a dos attack etc.

When I started with webhosting many years ago I was with verio and im tempted to go back to them with a vps but they may shove me on an overseas server, which I absolutely do not want at any cost.

Webfusion is another im looking at but still no guarantee about uk datacenter.

All these companies are very cagey when I ask that my server be in a u.k. dc only !
          Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Just thought I would report that im testing a uk hosted vps and my test site is faster through the web than it is from my hard drive

Ftp is so fast that my screen just turns into a blur while uploading. Just goes to show how slow my current provider is.

Knowing my luck it will turn out slow if I sign up and pay them !

Mick
            Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X