Iframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iframe

I've just discovered iframe, which looks straight forward to use.

(I don't understand javascript, and got lost reading this thread:
    http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=23221 )

(Although testing the very last post on it is very clever!)

But seriously, does anyone have a definitive "it's OK to use" or a definitive "don't touch it with a bargepole!" opinion?
    Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

What are you trying to achieve and to what aim?

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Revolving images.

I discovered it at www.emmamuir.co.uk and when I viewed the source code, that lead me to to type in www.emmamuir.co.uk/if_gallery.htm (if viewing, give it a little time)

Then I copied the source of that file to my desktop, changed the address of the images to a series of my own stored locally, and had it working in 5 minutes.

So this evening I've learnt, it's a frame within a site that isn't framed; it can be located in a table; it pulls in images from a gallery. Sort of.

I was thinking of using it to show different views of a product, perhaps in an Extended Info pop-up.

I expect I need flash really, but I haven't even started with that - you need software don't you? (or a developer, & I'm diy).

My thread starting question is, as frames are considered a no-no these days, this seems a simple idea, simple to maintain, is it hazardous?

(Thanks Jont - I didn't REALLY want google on my site!)
      Paul
      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Comment

Assuming the code you have copied is open-source and available to be reused on a commercial site it sounds like you don't need the iframe. The iframe opens another page within your page usually one that is maintained and owned by someone else.

If you have the source code working locally and you are wanting to use you own images then simply embed everything into your own template, no need for an iframe.

Bikster

Comment

AHA! Thanks very much John.

(so that means, Emma Muir doesn't need it either? - all her images are on the same server.)
          Paul

Comment

I guess it depends on how many sites you have and the maintenance .. if she has created it and simply needs to load it to another location without bothering to create the new page.

As the content code is not on your actual page any SEO work will not be valid (although it will probably boost the target page ranking). Whilst iframe is better than a regular frame if you don't need to use them then you are best avoiding if possible.

Bikster

Comment

Working...
            X