Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ftp not working via actinic

Hi

I have just moved to a new web host (Pinbrook) and also moved my copy of actinic to a new PC via a snapshot (98 to XP SP2). Pinbrook support has confirmed that my network settings are OK but I got this from the Network Test
    ===========
    Unable to connect to the FTP server "outdoorfocus.co.uk" because the specified server is invalid. This could also occur if the network connection is down.

The server name or address could not be resolved
    ===========
    I can ftp the site manually.

Strangely this afternoon I switched off my Trend Micro firewall, got a good Network Test, uploaded the site, sucessfully completed and downloaded an order and told Pinbrook I was fine. Switched off & congratulated myself.

But now switching off the firewall makes no difference and I cannot upload to the site or download orders though I have got an email from a successful incoming order.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by BarryF; 04-Feb-2007, 02:12 PM. Reason: Happy Smilie now

PC-cillin internet security 2007

Just a thought with regard to my thread.

Is anyone out there using PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 alongside Actinic?

Comment

I haven't used PC-cillin but this certainly sounds like a security related problem. If you have PC-cillin installed I would disable it (and all other firewall programs).

Do you still get the same error as initially when doing a network test?

Comment

are you using ftp.oudoorfocus.co.uk as the full ftp server name, or have you been missing off the ftp part?
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks for your interest.

Bill, I do have ftp missing as checked by Pinbrook. I have just tried adding it and still get the same.

Duncan, I have tried switching off the firewall. uninstalling and re-installing v7 and trying a network test with it still off. I did get a message from the PcCillin as I re-installed even though the Firewall was off so some part of it is still checking new software. I suppose I may have to uninstall Pc-Cillin, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Will there be error logs at Pinbrook which would give a clue to what is going on?

Comment

There were issues some time back with Zone Alarm - the only way to be sure was to completely remove it and reboot. I doubt Pinbrook would have logs if the ftp name cannot be resolved. Perhaps you can try on another machine - odes the old W98 machine still work OK?

Comment

I will try the old machine first. My broadband provider at that location is different and I think their name servers have not yet caught up with our move to Pinbrook.

Comment

Problem solved - I think. I bit the bullet and uninstalled my PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007 and did a Network Test - Pass. I then re-installed the PcCillin without its Firewall - Still pass. So I am up and running using the Windows Firewall. Thanks for your assistance.

Barry

Comment

I will try the old machine first. My broadband provider at that location is different and I think their name servers have not yet caught up with our move to Pinbrook.
                  Whilst this has been resolved it is worth pointing out that there is a cool extension for FF called "showIP" this is useful when looking a websites as it shows you the IP, therefore if you change host you can use this info to show where your PC is picking the website up from.

Needless to say I use this several times a day.....

FTP host for network setting for our servers can be www.domain, ftp.domain or domain.

Comment

Working...
                  X