No announcement yet.

New Host or Server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always under the impression that a dedicated server meant you could do what you want, it's basically yours but stored at theirs etc.

Thats probably naivety on my behalf though as i once looked into having a DS and couldn't justify the cost, i haven't looked since. If Pinbrook limit you and others don't it would suggest it's the norm to be unlimited, however you will know far more than me in this area.

One thing i would say is that if i was paying for a DS, i would expect more than 25GB, as medium sites can use 20GB quite easily. Its a cost analysis really, if 25GB is going to cost you £1,000, but you will never use that much or you can have unlimited for £1,500, whats sensible to choose. Support and customer service is a key point too, although for me, once you are past the initial setup and working, what contact do you need.

Isn't the main advantage that you do not have other monkeys on your server, you can still go down and fail etc. or am i missing something?

Comment

we don't limit bandwidth..... all our plans allow unlimited bandwidth.

Each plan is priced and includes a certain amount of bandwidth in the quoted monthly cost.

Our datacentre is on the verizon backbone, hence its costs us buckets, and is the reason why we can not offer unlimited bandwidth.

it is well known that some hosts who offer unlimited bw do in fact throttle it, so it may be unlimited only if you can get hold of it.

Comment

What I mean't was Pinbrook only allow a certain amount of bandwidth within their price ie 25GB and then they charge per GB thereafter for dedicated servers.

Geraldine
        Stardust Funky Kids T-Shirts

Comment

Unlimited bandwidth within a fixed single price does not exist within the big scheme of things, as it has to be paid for somewhere along the way, for which those offering unlimited bandwidth either have far too much at there disposal, with pipes purchased upfront annually, for which the host is hoping to make good on those pipes before the renewal, or they are banking on smaller customers who use very little, covering the excess that the bigger users are using, or... As Jo said, they throttle the pipe so you can only get so much down the pipe anyway.

This is not me saying that one host or another are doing this, but it is a fact that traffic to and from a website via the hosting provider costs money for every byte that moves around in and out of it, regardless of who you are, say Pipex, Clara, NTL and even HotMail (with peering points in GlobalSwitch in London I think is where they are at) have to pay for that bandwidth (also called IP Transit) at the face to there systems and in many cases for peering with other well known systems.

Somewhere, someone pays - no getting around it.

All that said and done - not making any comment on any company or provided bits or costs of extras, just explaining a quick bit on IP Transit.

Comment

Working...
          X