Transferring website to a new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring website to a new server

I have transferred my website to a new server as I need to shut down the other. The copy of files to the new server seems to have been done successfully (did this by syncing from one to the other rather than re-uploading).

I have come across a problem though. Despite changing the IP address and FTP username and password in Actinic, when I try to retrieve orders it says "No orders to retrieve" yet we've had tons of emails saying orders have been placed. The orders appear to be going to the old server and I can't figure out why. I have changed the A records so the site is pointing in the right place. I'm running Actinic v7 and SSL is applied to the whole site (don't ask why!).

a) Will a simple site refresh solve the problem?
    b) How can I best go about getting the orders off the old server into the database on the new server for me to download in Actinic?

Thanks for your help
    Cheers
    Stuart

if you are using SSL you can amend network settings so you can access either server using the IP address.

Even if you have transferred the site by syncing across servers you should also do a site refresh to the new server. We use the sync method to transfer between servers, but the new server will always require a refresh to sync back to the PC.

Comment

I know its a bit late now but I always suggest suspending ordering on the site when moving servers to prevent orders getting lost in the move.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I do wish I had suspended ordering now to be honest but it's too late now - I know for next time eh!

The next problem i'm faced with is that since we did a site refresh we have received new orders so these are likely to have been allocated with an order number that has already been used on the old server! This is going to make it difficult merging the two orders dbs.

Arrrrgggghhhh!
        Cheers
        Stuart

Comment

If the old server is still live why not load the site back onto it and download the orders on another PC, suspend ordering, check after 2 hours and then close the site down. You will then need to tranfer the orders manually to the new instalation.

Comment

I see what you mean but i've done something like that before and when I tried to view the orders in Actinic some orders wouldn't open because of a conflict with item numbers or something like that.

Am I right in thinking that you need to copy the orders themselves from one table to another and then the items of the order need copying as well?
            Cheers
            Stuart

Comment

the safest thing is to manually input the missing orders yourself.

Can you do offline ordering in v7? either offline order input or online

then you will get unique/new order numbers. Hopefully you have the order detail from the copy of the customer email or PSP detail

Comment

Working...
              X