Developer 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer 7

Guys, Sorry but this must get asked every day. I've just been asked by a client to install Actinic Developer 7 on 4 different machines. So they all can check orders etc. However how do we network or link these machines to the same database so that they all can see current orders without having to snapshot every time?. They do have the multi-user Version if thats of any help. As you can gather i've never touched actinic before and administration is a mine field.

Thanks
    http://www.dinonet.co.uk

They will need to upgrade to the multi-user version to share the database

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Well since they already have the multi user version, maybe they will not need to upgrade, but they will need to install the multi user version on each machine - following the installation instructions - of course.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by dinonet
        They do have the multi-user Version if thats of any help.
        I should learn to read the instructions from time to time

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Yeah i installed the version on all machines, how do i link them all to the same database?. I cant find an area or option to open database on another machine? or do i need glasses. The only manual the client has is for the Sage plugin!!!

Comment

I think you should find it in the File | Sites dialog.

You should (is on v8) have an option to select the folder used to hold the sites subfolders, so you go as far as c:/program files/blah blah/sites/ and not into site1 etc.

But, you may have to map your drive for the master machine which is holding the main db, so that all machines can find it easy enough.

Comment

Tried that, 'File/Sites' only give me a window to create new site or select site1.
              Next option is 'Files/External Links' everything is greyed out and only option available is 'link products to table in external database'. I'd have thought there was an option like open database, then maybe a browse window..... Any ideas?

Comment

Ok - just to be certain then...

Are you using Developer or Business Multi User?

Comment

Sorry, should have extended that with more info...

Developer = Multiple Site (not multiple users).

Business Multi User = Multiple Site and Multiple Users (2 included - then how ever many more you buy on top).

Comment

Im the IT manager supporting a client who already has a site finished and running. Now the site is doing well, they need more of the staff to be able to check orders etc. I myself have never used Actinic and my client only knows how to check his stock and orders. All the development has been done by another company. All i have done is install Developer 7 Multi-User on 3 new PC's and mapped the Actinic server to each machine. I thought that once installed all i should have to do is open existing database, but cannot find this option and have no manuals as the developer kept all this.
                    The serial Number card with the install disk says Actinic developer 7 multi-user.

Comment

I am not so sure (could be wrong) that what you have is a multi user product.

Like I say, I could be wrong, but Developer is for Multiple Sites, where in the CD case you get 1 authorisation key.

With Multi User you get a key for each user inside the CD case.

If the owner had it set up previously where 1 machine was for maintenance of the site and another machine for order downloads, then the Dbs were split, with the appropriate content or orders on the specific machine, but not both using the same Db.

An alternate to this would be they are using something like Mole Ends Multi User add-on, possibly, but could not say for certain obviously.

The only thing can say is that as I know Actinic and Multi User versions, it is only Business Multi User (but again I stress - could be wrong), so think the best thing would be to call the company who sold it to your client or Actinic and provide them with your client details and key to give you a definite answer to it.

Comment

If you have installed multiuser, all you have to do is to map a drive on the non hosting machines on the new machines and then setup the sites directory on the remote machines to point to this drive. Actinic sets up all of the DNS and maps the database.

What exactly isn't working now that you have installed it?

Regards,
                        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                        Multichannel order processing
                        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                        X