Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not able to send emails for Order Confirmations - Help.!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not able to send emails for Order Confirmations - Help.!!

Im trying to set up the email settings within the Advanced Network Setup on Actinic 7
    I've entered the smtp server and the username/password of my account but when i do a test or when i try to send the email to customer informing payment has been received i get the following message:

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.

My site is still in test mode at the moment, so all the above is just me testing it out.

Anyone have any ideas why I am getting this error message?

Try putting 'localhost' in the smtp box and removing all user names and passwords.

Comment

HUGE number of threads on this subject - it is host dependednt what solution works best.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
        HUGE.
        Understatement of the year. In fact network settings could have their own forum. In fact this could well be the way forward. One central place for anything network related.

MODS?

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          Try putting 'localhost' in the smtp box and removing all user names and passwords.
          I've tried this and I see that it uses the one account I have setup on my pc from my outlook express.

What if I want to use another e-mail account purely just for the actinic site .ie. sales@xxxx.com

If I have two accounts on my pc, how can I configure Actinic to know which one to use?

Comment

If I have two accounts on my pc, how can I configure Actinic to know which one to use
            Dont think you can. If you need that then you need to configure each site to use its own SMTP settings.

Comment

Maybe it grabs the account you have setup as your default account.

Comment

Originally Posted by leehack

I've tried this and I see that it uses the one account I have setup on my pc from my outlook express.

What if I want to use another e-mail account purely just for the actinic site .ie. sales@xxxx.com

If I have two accounts on my pc, how can I configure Actinic to know which one to use?
                if you want to use sales@xxx.com you should be able to use mail.xxxx.com as SMTP in network settings.

BUT as previously stated it depends on your host and what type of email service they are providing you with. First thing to do is ask your host what SMTP server you should use if you want to send mail from your domain name.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  if you want to use sales@xxx.com you should be able to use mail.xxxx.com as SMTP in network settings.

BUT as previously stated it depends on your host and what type of email service they are providing you with. First thing to do is ask your host what SMTP server you should use if you want to send mail from your domain name.
                  If for example our domain was wwwhohoho.com then our smtp server would be mail.hohoho.com but i've tried this and i just get an error with Actinic.

If I sent SMTP on network settings within actinic to "localhost" it works.

I havent checked to see if it uses the default account, i'll have a look at that.

If it only uses the one mail account on the PC, then will have to setup Actinic on a standalone PC and setup the mail account I want to use on there.

Comment

I created an email account called actinic@ourdomain.com and set this as the default account on outlook express, I also have my own email address on OE as well.

Tested Actinic, but its still sending to my own email address and not the
                    Actinic@ourdomain.com

Why is this?

Comment

What an idiot I feel....

I've just realised what it is.

In View->Business Settings and under Contact Information I had the incorrect email address in there.

If you change this e-mail address to where you want the e-mails to be sent from, and in advanced network settings enter the smtp server as your mail server i.e www.mydomain.com or the IP address with username/password UNTICKED it should work, it did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post

Not sure if that is the problem. I have your '10 site' hosting package and all of my 9 sites are set to 'mail.xxxx.com' with no problems. I can run the test from network settings and it passes, and sends me a test mail, and all of the emails work when ordering (order received, merchants order confirmation, customers order confirmation).

But my latest 10th site (which has been registered with you for several weeks, so shouldn't be a DNS issue) does NOT work when configured as 'mail.xxxx.com'.

If I run the test it fails with -

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server."
                        followed by the results -

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
                        server: passed
                        connection: passed
                        sockets: passed
                        communications: failed
                        authorisation: passed
                        This also happens if I use the IP address rather than the domain name. It can't be a network issue or 'temporary DNS failure' because I can flick backwards and forwards between sites and the others ALWAYS work, but this one ALWAYS fails.

I've also tried 'localhost' which does pass the test, but doesn't send a test email. Also on receipt of an order it does send the customers order confirmation but not the order received or merchants order confirmation...

Everything else seems to work ok (upload, cart, checkout, order download etc) so what's going on???
                        www.LabelKing.co.uk - New!
                        www.dymowholesale.co.uk - Newest!
                        sigpic

Comment

Without more details such as network settings etc, all I can suggest is that you check all your email details (especially the one entered in business settings) and try again.

If you're hosted with Pinbrook then contacting them directly is probably your best advice.

Mike
                          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

the error here was mis-spelling the domain name in the business setting email address

Comment

yes, which is a bit weird - I mean why would actinic use the email settings from the business settings? I thought that the whole point of the network settings was that actinic used those for the email settings... Thought the info in business settings was just for show (on the invoice/packing notes etc).

Though I guess it would help if I could remember my own domain name.
                              www.LabelKing.co.uk - New!
                              www.dymowholesale.co.uk - Newest!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X