Showing Weight info on Product Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showing Weight info on Product Pages

I am in the process of setting up shipping tables for the products on our site,

All our UK Mainland deliveries have free delivery, but we charge for non mainland and international deliveries

We have them split into 2 bands which are based on weight

so for example for Europe
    band 1 (light stuff) can be £10
    Band 2 (big/heavy stuff) can be £25

I have set up the shipping tables and applied weights to each product. 0.5kg for anything in Band one 5.0Kg for anything in band 2

what i want to be able to do is show on the product page which band the product would be in, hopefully without me having to do anything!

what i would like to happen is to have something (probably some javascript) that checks the weight of the item then displays "shipping band 1" or "Shipping Band 2" depending on the outcome

Is this possible, anybody got any ideas how i would do it?

just as a note: If possible i would like to do this with out the actual weight being displayed because i have only used 2 weights most are not correct for each item!

Thanks
    AndrewPK
    www.incredibid.co.uk

Unfortunately there is no WEIGHT variable (at least there isn't one specified in the user's guide), which is a bit silly considering weight can effect a purchase significantly. So, my only suggestion is to create a custom variable called SHIPPINGBAND and assign some text ('Band 1', 'Band 2') for each of your products. Then you could just add CUSTOMVAR:SHIPPINGBAND to your product template, no scripting required.

Of course, you'd have to do this in addition to your actual weight values.
    www.gbradley.co.uk
    Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

We thats killed that idea!

I have already set up a Customvar which will show a Jpg, and set that customvar to default to the higher price postage band, (most of our products are in the higher delivery band), I can then change the customvar on the individual products when needed,

so it will show a different jpg depending on the band

I just kinda hoped for a more automatic system.

AndrewPK
      www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

Andrew,

The weight data isn't held in a NETQUOTEVAR but is stored on the server in .cat files. So, there is a way to access that data but it is a little complex. It involves two scripts:

- a Perl script which accepts a product reference and returns the weight;
        - a Javascript function which passes the product reference to the Perl script, and writes the returned weight to the page

I've used this method for something similar and it works pretty well (on one product-per-page, although it could be modified to handle multiple products). I'm using the scripts to build another patch so I'd rather not post all the code here, but if you want to try it email me (helloATgbradleyDOTcoDOTuk).
        www.gbradley.co.uk
        Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Working...
        X