Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Service V7 to V8 - Glasgow UK?

Hi,

I attempted an upgrade from v7 to v8 near Christmas resulting in the site not working, "content tree not found" errors, add to cart and SSL not working etc. Fortunately I managed to get V7 back up.

Is there anyone in the Glasgow area whom I could take my laptop to (with site on) in the event of a second attempt to upgrade the site going completely pear shaped again? What sort of cost could I expect?

Would this cause potential problems when updating my Mothers computer to V8. (she lives in England and is as technical as a goldfish)?

Regards,

Nick

Your Mother's computer - V8 and V7 can exist on the same computer. When installing you are given a choice of either upgrading or installing new - do not choose to upgrade at that time. You can then learn about V8 prior to upgrading the site.

There are potential issues around upgrading your V7 site to V8 depending on how modified the V7 site is - have a read in the forum.

Comment

Why not make a backup of the site on separate media and try again, If all else fales you can rever to version 7 and get the site working again.

I played with version 8 and to be hones I prefer version 7.

OK it a pain in the ass some times but at least it not as problimatical.

hope that helps

Originally posted by NickBaxter
      Hi,

I attempted an upgrade from v7 to v8 near Christmas resulting in the site not working, "content tree not found" errors, add to cart and SSL not working etc. Fortunately I managed to get V7 back up.

Is there anyone in the Glasgow area whom I could take my laptop to (with site on) in the event of a second attempt to upgrade the site going completely pear shaped again? What sort of cost could I expect?

Would this cause potential problems when updating my Mothers computer to V8. (she lives in England and is as technical as a goldfish)?

Regards,

Nick

Comment

Current V7 uses standard unmodified templates. The only customisation was a "symbolic link" which had to be set up by my server hosts to get the SSL to work (this took about 7 weeks to get right with the 30 free Actinic support)

I tried installing (not upgrading) V8 and loaded in the latest V7 site snap shot. Visually, everything appeared good. I uploaded in site test mode, and that is when everything broke, content tree errors and shopping cart errors. Could this be due to the site going into the server test folder and breaking the content tree file patch and server symbolic links?

I manually deleted the Test folder and went back to using V7.

I really only want the ability to use best sellers, also bought and ideally, coupons? Are coupons even available in V8 Catalog only?

It may be that I simply forget v8 and stick to v7. A forum article on improved SEO in V8 has motivated me to upgrade, as the only traffic we get is from Google Ad words. If only everyone who clicked bought something then I would not have an issue.

For what my mother sells, may V7 be just as good?
        www.thecraftcottage.co.uk

Comment

It sounds like you perhaps had the same script number set for both V7 and V8 and they were sharing the same cgi-bin. If you are sharing space at all (even in test mode) then it's safer to ensure the script IDs are different.

Best Sellers, New Products etc are good enhancements. IIRC coupons though are only available in the business version.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am starting to think "if it ain't broke, dont upgrade it"

Is it easy to change the script number when you have 2 versions installed?

Comment

Yes in the network settings

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Am I correct in assuming I can;

1. Install V 8 on same Machine.
                2. Import V7 snap shot into V8
                3. Ensure that a copy of all files etc (images, css) from V7 have same file paths within V8 site directory
                4. Change Script Number in V8 Network settings to any number I so choose
                5. Upload V8 as "test" using snap shot imported
                6. Site will work without General Script errors and Content Tree not found errors
                7. Remove from Test mode and do full site refresh over the V7 version.

Is there any potential that the "Symbolic Link" established on the server by my host will not work after an upgrade to version 7?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi,

1. Install V 8 on same Machine.
                  2. Import V7 snap shot into V8
                  You can do it this way although sometimes when you install v8 and upgrade your v7 site that way it works better than importing a snapshot.

4. Change Script Number in V8 Network settings to any number I so choose
                  5. Upload V8 as "test" using snap shot imported
                  You can change the script ID if you want, but putting the software into 'Test Mode' (Web | Switch to Test Mode) will change the script ID number anyway to stop it interferring with the live site

6. Site will work without General Script errors and Content Tree not found errors
                  7. Remove from Test mode and do full site refresh over the V7 version.
                  It should work fine and you can switch back to live mode (Web | Switch to Production Mode) when you are ready to go live with v8 and refresh the site.

Is there any potential that the "Symbolic Link" established on the server by my host will not work after an upgrade to version 7?
                  Actinic won't touch any configuration on the server (apart from setting permissions on the files it uploads) so the Symbolic Link should stay in place. If the server settings work in v7 then there should be no reason for them not to work with v8.
                  Tracey
                  SellerDeck

Comment

Many thanks to all who have responded. I shall give this another attempt.

Best regards,
                    Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X