Version 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 4

Are there any web hosting companies that still work with Version 4. If so can anyone recommend one? I cannot upload my version 4 site to my current web hosting company because the Perl version is too old. My cuurent hosting company is fine with version 5 onwards (I have a version 5 and a version 7 site running quite with them - but cannot get Version 4 to upload). Many thanks in advance for any replies this may receive.

Are you sure this is a Perl issue?

What erors are you getting?

What does Addvanced / Network Setup / Tesx report?

PS just a few posts down is someone still running V3!
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hello Norman,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes - I noticed and had a quick look at the Version 3 web site!

With me the message I get is ' Catalogue is not able to run CGI scripts on the server'

I spent hours trying to configure my way around this to no avail. Someone at Actinic told me that the version of Perl being used in V4 was obsolete - or words to that effect.

As I have an Actinic Version 4 that I am unable to use with my Hosting company I thought I would ask if anyone running a version 4 still could help with a hosting company - unless, of course, there is way around the impasse I have encountered. I have not really fiddled around with my Version 4 for some weeks now having given up with it after hoiurs of fruitless wrestling!

Comment

A quick follow on to my previous answer.

I am getting as far as the Perl test when uploading.

The message after many tries is this:

The server is not configured to handle cookie headers. The script did not rceive the cookie sent by the wizard.

Whatever I do or try does not get me past this!

Comment

I've got V4 lurking here and a local server that's a modern system with Perl V5.8.7 and it just ran the Network Test OK, uploaded and ran fine.

So I'd guess that you may have some other issue preventing your site from working.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman,

My hosting company also uses Perl 5.8.7

The hosting company tell me the problem is with Actinic - which I can well believe having both a V5 and V7 web site running with them without any problems. When I have time I will play around again with the V4 version.

If anyone else has any suggestions or tips I can try I welcome any suggestions with open arms!

Comment

The knowledge base suggest that the most common cause of this error is the path to perl being wrong.

see: http://knowledge.actinic.com/cgi-bin....com/acatalog/

It might be worth checking that you have the same path to perl in your V4 setup as you do in your other versions.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Your input is appreciated. I am away for a couple of days now but will have another wrestle with V4 when I return - and, of course, will double check all my settings and the path to Perl.

Comment

Post your network settings so we can check as it more than likely something wrong with those, don't forget to remove passwords etc

otherwise if you want to test on our hosting please get in contact. We've got V4,5,6,7 and 8 running

you can have a free 14 day trial with a temporary URL, so you won't loose anything.

Comment

Thanks Jo,

I now have major problems with my v7 site. The hard drive died in a fire and I am trying to rebuild this using an old backup. Until I have sorted this out my v4 problems pale into insignificance.

Regards and thanks again,

Charles

Comment

Working...
                    X