Free Shipping on one product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Shipping on one product

Is there any way to offer free shipping on one product only, without setting up discount of the same amount or creating a new rate for an excessive weight?

I'd like to create an item which itself is for misc postage, but don't want the customer to get charged postage again.

Thanks

If you are shipping by weight, then simply create rows in your shipping tables that looks like this:

Weight | Cost
    0.00 | £0.00

And then make sure you set a weight of '0' for the item you want free shipping on.

Comment

What if you are not using weight in this instance.

Instead you have a standard value charge of, say £4.95 for all orders under £50. Then over £50 free.

You then want to introduce a few items that have free postage, or even a small charge of say £1.50 but are NOT subject to the £4.95 charge?

**If it is obvious I promise to smack myself with a plank**

Regards,
      Jonathan.
      Inchima
      ...because "web development is child's play"

http://www.inchima.com
      info@inchima.com

New to Actinic but learning fast. Expert developers in community software and portals as well as sport based websites.

Comment

I had a different, but I suppose related problem and got around it here

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...&threadid=4225

but we only have 2 different classes of products, so it was quite easy to work out the combinations.

I would do it something like this for yours

free shipping item weight = 1
        all other items weight = 100

You can then set up a postage table like such

1 = £0 - One of your free postage items
        2 = £0 - two of your free postage items
        100 = £4.95 - one of your non free postage items
        101 = £0 - one of your free postage items and one of your non free
        102 = £0 - one non free + 2 free postage items
        200 = £4.95 - two non free postage items
        201 = £0 - two non free postage items + one free postage.

Of course you would still have to keep your over £50 free over bit ticked.

And this adds quite a bit of management to the site, as you have to make sure you get all the possible variations of free+non free, and you have to make sure you give all items a weight class.

You could then expand this to

10000 = normal postage
        100 = £1.50 postage
        1 = free postage

and then have the shipping table like such

1 = £0 - 1 x free item
        2 = £0 - 2 x free item
        100 = £1.50 - 1 x £1.50 item
        101 = £0 - 1x 1.50 item + 1x free item
        10000 = £4.95 - 1x non free
        10001 = £0 - 1xnon free + 1x free

Comment

Craig, we did exactly what you said and have managed to solve our problem

...but we have another one

We have free postage to customers over the £100 mark. But we don't want to give the offer of free postage to international customers.

It seems that you can have free postage switched on or off without any 'in-between'.

Does anyone know of a work around for this?

Thanks,

Jonathan.
          Inchima
          ...because "web development is child's play"

http://www.inchima.com
          info@inchima.com

New to Actinic but learning fast. Expert developers in community software and portals as well as sport based websites.

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this when the calculation basis is set to weight. The 'Free Over' option is only ever a global one.

Comment

As Chris says, the free shipping is global. You could adapt the previous workaround to get by this.

I know this would be a nightmare ..... as you would have workout all combination of items, but it could be done with a lot of work and a lot of updates - for example if a prices changed the you would have to recalculate everything ..

I would have though that the easiest solution and probably the best would be to have 2 sites - .co.uk for UK orders and a .com site for US/EU internationla orders.

I wonder if it is possible/easy to have 2 different sites running from the same catalog database?

Comment

I wonder if it is possible/easy to have 2 different sites running from the same catalog database?
                The way you would do this is have to Actinic Business sites linked externally to the same database. This works pretty well for products.

Comment

Working...
                X