Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-mail Problem

Hello there

I started running some test orders to check it was all working but i am having problems sending e-mails.

When i get an order from the web site and click to send eithier Order Shipped Or Payment Recived etc.

I get the following error:

Failed to communicate with the SMTP server.

Possible Cause:
    Network transmission problems.

Recommendation:
    Retry

Resolution:
    If retry fails, check your SMTP settings
    or contact your ISP.

The error was:
    58319neo_ad@brokenoath.netError returned from SMTP server (4: 550 Recipient Not Authorised [recipient rejected due to no authorised destination groups] <--- neo_ad@brokenoath.net is my home e-mail address

Command: send Filename:

Things i have tried/ruled out so far are as follows

Used the network settings to check my details, it all works and i get an e-mail sent to my e-mail thats used in the company details saying that its ok "This is the test message from Actinic Catalog.
    The email address and SMTP server you specified
    in the network preferences are correct.".

I am logged on with the same ISP as the mail

My isp doesnt require SMTP auth

I tried to send to other e-mail address

I am using Btconnect as my isp and i have used it for normal e-mails for months now

If i send the e-mail to my info@equipmenthut.com (one thats set up in actinic i get the e-mail saying i have payed/been shipped)
    But if i send it to any other e-mail address it gives me the above error.

Hope you can help me

Regards,

Neo_ad
    Stewart Anderson AKA Neo_ad

oh and i also forgot to say i have already tried the "localhost" in the network settings i get the same error i posted above

Comment

double checked all the forums about this and i have spoken to my isp they are looking into it (if it is there problem)

but i have had still no luck

any ideas ?

Regards,

Neo_ad

Comment

We have the smae problem here.

It only started happening from the 15th July, before that it was fine.

What OS are you running? we have Windows 2000 Professional here, just put service pack 4 onto the main machine.

Also do you have the latest version of Actinic? we are running 6.1.3 DHBA.

I have tried the things you mentioned(Localhost etc.) also tried a few other SMTP servers aswell, but to no avail.

Could there be an issue with windows 2000?

It's a frustrating error as noone seems to have an answer to the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Comment

hello there thanks for the reply

i am running windows xp (built on 2000) so it could be the same problem and i am as well on the latest version of actnic.

i have a few more ideas that i am going to try i will let you know how i get on

Regards,

neo_ad

Comment

Hi there

Looking from your error report regarding the smtp, i would say that this problem is not caused by your pc operating system.

The error suggests that your smtp server is willing to send an email to "info@equipmenthut.com", but it is not sending email to anywhere else except if the email address contains <something>@equipmenthut.com

You may need to talk to your webhosting company regarding the smtp server and tell them about the error message 500

"550 Recipient Not Authorised [recipient rejected due to no authorised destination groups]"

Please try this
            Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

I misread the first part of this message, our problem is similar to yours, but basically we can't send emails from within actinic to anybody.

Comment

Have you talked to your webhosts about whether they did anything to the mail servers on 15th July? They may have upped the security which blocks when Actinic tries to send the message.

Actinic sends messages from the desktop by connecting to the Actinic online Perl scripts and then the Perl, in turn, connects to the SMTP server. Maybe your hosts have stopped Perl from being able to work in this way.

It is worth following up this line of enquiry before trying more complex things.

Comment

I am in talks with my web hosting company now i will post the results when i have them

Regards,

Stewart

Comment

Hi there i have spoken with my ISP and web host`s both of which i have spent a good hour+ each with on this matter both have tried alot of things but this hasnt sorted it.

They are both in agreement that its the software thats at fault but even tho they think this they are still working on it for me to try and fix it.

You said there were some more complex things to try what would this be ?

I hope you can help me

Regards,

Neo_ad

Comment

The only other thing to suggest is a more complex Perl change to change Actinic to use 'sendmail' rather than SMTP for sending email messages. This will bypass the problem you have with your SMTP server.

The thing is, you need to be reasonably comfortable editing CGI scripts in order to attempt this. You also need to check with your web host that they support 'sendmail'.

The solution is courtesy of Norman Rouxel, and is attached.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi there,

Its strange it could be a software fault, because the error message is a mail server message

Please check the following website: Understanding SMTP Error Messages

This provides you will a list of error and the numbers. Now you are getting an Error 550; Looking at this guide it says

The requested command failed because the user's mailbox was unavailable (for example because it was not found, or because the command was rejected for policy reasons).
                        Also looking at your first post,
                        If i send the e-mail to my info@equipmenthut.com (one thats set up in actinic i get the e-mail saying i have payed/been shipped) But if i send it to any other e-mail address it gives me the above error.
                        So this suggests that the mail server is not delivering mail to anyone except for info@equipmenthut.com. Thats why you are getting these problems

I hope this information helps you
                        Kind Regards
                        Nadeem Rasool
                        SellerDeck Development

Comment

whooooooo (jumps up and down)

Its all sorted now cheers for the help and advice cdicken and everyone else.

Going live in eta 2 days !!! :P

Regards,

Neo_ad
                          www.equipmenthut.com

Comment

That's great news! Was it the sendmail thing that got it working or was it something else?

Comment

send mail plus a few tweaks to the cgi stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X