Reporting from ActinicCatalog.mdb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting from ActinicCatalog.mdb

Firstly I have to say how happy we are with Actinic v7.x and it's primary purpose. We have been trading for with our Actinic based site for just over a year of trading without any issues whatsoever. There have been a few questions re: layout or customisation of the menus but for out and out reliability of the product it has been 100%.

So with all that out of the way and the business settling down into it's routine we wanted to start producing mailshots to our customers. Firstly we were disappointed that there wasn't a std report that would dump out the email addresses from the database (ignoring duplicates). To be honest that seems a bit of a no brainer to us. *waits to stand corrected that it can be done*

So we opened up the database in Ms Access and found the field "Email Address" in the table "Person". On a side note it was interesting to see exactly how our customers input data into mandatory fields during the checkout process. From the entries like blah@blah.com or 000@000 or even N/A I'm guessing this field is basically freeform text. I'm guessing this is more to do with MS Access rather than Actinic? With that in mind would/could it not be sensible to have written some sort of html entry checking code into those fields so that at least it makes sure the customer enters a string with the very minimum of *.@.*.*?

At this point I must point out we are only using the Catalog version of the product not the Business version. In a perfect world each customer would have to validate their own email address before they can submit their first order. I'm guessing each customer would then have to create an account before that could be done. Not sure some of our customers want to have to register everytime they wish to order from a site like ours. Some have said it's good that they do not have to create an account.

So

1) is email address validation available in any version of Actinic 7.*?

2) is there a way to produce a report in Actinic to output email addresses to a flat file?

3) Will there ever be the functionality in current or future versions of Actinic where you can create a single email and then send to all or a subset of the customers?

For the time being I have written a script to export the data out of the database, excluding duplicates and invalid formats (i.e. without an @ in the string) and finally output the result into a file that can be copied and pasted in to "To:" field in a mail client. All in all alot of work for something that surely alot of customers woudl like to see in the Actinic product?

Feedback and comments would be appreciated.

is there a way to produce a report in Actinic to output email addresses to a flat file
    This is available in V8

Comment

Now why did I guess someone was going to say that!

To be honest though I'd like to have email address validation and the ability to crate and send a mail to all or selected customers before I would consider upgrading to version 8 or beyond. It's not worth the money just for the email report not now since I've already invested time and money into writing the code.

Comment

To be honest though I'd like to have email address validation
        It can do this as well with a little modification.

and the ability to crate and send a mail to all or selected customers
        Export to GroupMail which is free to do this.

Comment

To be honest though I'd like to have email address validation and the ability to crate and send a mail to all or selected customers before I would consider upgrading to version 8 or beyond. It's not worth the money just for the email report not now since I've already invested time and money into writing the code.
          you can buy the marketing module for V7 from Mole-End.

Normally you would use your mailing list program to validate email addresses, you should additionally test for duplicate email addresses and test for bounces before sending a list. All these features should be available in your mailing list management program

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
            It can do this as well with a little modification.
            I'm I correct in assuming you meant V8.x?

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
              you can buy the marketing module for V7 from Mole-End.

Normally you would use your mailing list program to validate email addresses, you should additionally test for duplicate email addresses and test for bounces before sending a list. All these features should be available in your mailing list management program
              Duplicates are taken care of by the sql query SELECT DISTINCT so the output to the current txt file with all the addresses is fine.

Bounces / delivery failure due to unkown address would be an issue if the mailbox no longer exists. Are you saying that the module you suggested tests each mailbox before it sent the mail to it? Maybe I misunderstand you?

Comment

Our marketing module makes it easy to extract the details from Actinic (it is now included in Actinic V8), when you send out a mailing list it is usual to use an email marketing tool to write the email and send them out in batch to your list, Jo was talking about your email marketing tool. Groupmail is an example of a basic email marketing tool - you can also send the list to people offering a mailing list service (Jo offers this service) and they can send the email out for you, in that case it will be their programs that make these checks.

Regards,
                Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                Multichannel order processing
                Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                X