Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much `rubbish` does Actinic leave on your webspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much `rubbish` does Actinic leave on your webspace?

Unused images etc?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Lots - its best to give it a good clean now and then if you are doing lots of work on a site.

Comment

Actinic does not remove any html pages it has created that you subsequently remove, neither does it remove the associated images.

it is an easy task to remove dead html pages as you can delete all .html all from the webspace and do a site refresh to get the current pages re uploaded.

The only way to deal with images is to download all images from webspace, save them somewhere safe on your pc. Then delete all gif, jpg etc.

Then be prepared to copy back the images you deleted in error from your saved stash to site1.

Comment

What does a 'purge and refresh' do in relation to this, and is it a safe operation to carry out on an existing site, which is otherwise running without problems?

Comment

What does a 'purge and refresh' do in relation to this
          Nothing - you need to ftp the server and delete things as jo says.

Comment

What does a 'purge and refresh' do in relation to this
            deletes .fil and .cat files, does not delete superfluous html and images

Comment

Downloaded my acatalog folder this morning, I don't think we've any html pages on there that aren't part of our site so thats a good thing. (You do get a look at all the page file sizes too though... oooohhh dear!!! - work to be done fella!)

Have removed all images and refreshed website today, I'll find out how much space (according to Clara/awstats) I've saved tomorrow.

Now to find the 'site that checks your own for missing images... I know I've saved it somewhere...
              Football Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
                What does a 'purge and refresh' do in relation to this, and is it a safe operation to carry out on an existing site, which is otherwise running without problems?
                Didnt have any problems with the image clean up and replacement Martin, a tip would be to download your acatalog folder onto your hard drive beforehand, saving all your images etc. Delete all the gif, jpg, bmp's, etc, then refresh the site. I had a few in a separate folder that I knew about so was prepared for that issue.
                Football Heaven

Comment

You dont need to download anything just wipe the server and do a refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                    You dont need to download anything just wipe the server and do a refresh.
                    You do if you started with a frontpage site prior to Actinic
                    Football Heaven

Comment

started with a frontpage site prior
                      No wonder you are the virus magnet

Comment

No wonder you are the virus magnet
                        For what its worth I think new users are starting off with much better Actinic practices than many of us who have been through a few upgrades etc. Our site started way back in 2000 with frontpage doing the `brochure` pages, and Actinic doing the shop only. Thats why some images (only one or two small links images to other sites) are/were outwith the catalog folders. Now that I have basically identified all I use out of what was there I can relocate them properly.

Brochure pages were one of the best additions... ever. *tips porkpie hat*
                        Football Heaven

Comment

Brochure pages were one of the best additions
                          I agree with that one

Comment

One ither thing to look out for while you are in the server is the acatalog test folder - if you have ever used the test facility make sure that you clean this out as Im not convinced that the test site is removed when you switch to test mode.

Comment

One ither thing to look out for while you are in the server is the acatalog test folder - if you have ever used the test facility make sure that you clean this out as Im not convinced that the test site is removed when you switch to test mode.
                              Yeah, a good tip that Malcolm, not something that is found anywhere in the user guides that I've seen either.
                              Football Heaven

Comment

Working...
                              X