Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insufficient Rights to the registry

Hi there,

I have Actinic 7.07 installed on a Win2003 Server.

The Account we use to use Actinic is a limted user account on the domain, however, after updateing to 7.07, the limited user acount will no longer run Actinic due to the fact that it has restricions on Registry editing. The program prompts to add the account in question to the administrators or Power user groups but there's no way I'm giving that account Domain Admin and there are no power users groups for a DC.

Any idea? Are there specific registry keys I can give that account full access to?

Many Thanks.

I've complained before, (v8) and it get sillier.
    if you are "user" then you can't backup etc, it tells you your'e not a poweruser - so you think, "I'll make him a "power user", then actinic says "you WERE a user, now your'e a poweruser - but you still can't have permission"
    You CAN alter the registry, giving mere mortals access rights, but I did it in v8 and I'm not sure about v7
    You MUST do the work as an administrator, otherwise you don't see all the subnodes - look for the word "actinic" in the registry, that should give you the clues.
    make youself a new user, add him to a special group and then giv that group the privileges until you get it right, does take some time though and you continually have to swap users to test it.

Comment

The Actinic registry keys can be found here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Actinic\

Is it possible for you to give the basic user account access to those keys only?
      Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

is this a question or a statement??

Comment

More of a question. As I'm not a fully qualified server administrator, my knowledge on Active Directory and user account management is a bit limited I'm afraid.

I have done some research on this and found an article that might help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816585

Check out the "Compatible" heading in particular.

I'm not testing this on our DC for obvious reasons and please note this is just a suggestion and I hold no responsibility if the network goes wrong.
          Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Actually just had a thought. In the registry right click on the "Actinic" folder an clcik "Permissions".

Simply try adding the basic user here.
            Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

I have had the same problem (Actinic v8). Tried editing the the registry keys etc to no avail.

Then I went to c:\program files and changed the permissions on the actinic folder and everything worked fine - I can now allow controlled user access to Actinic.

I can't say whether this is just down to changing permissions on the Actinic folder in Program Files or whether the fact I had already changed the registry keys played a part. But I hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Comment

Working...
              X