Original directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original directory

When software is installed by admin on a users PC, everything seems fine until admin logs off and the user logs on - starting up Actinic gets an error report saying "Error locating the "Orginal" directory".

I don't want people to log onto the network as admin to run Actinic, and don't want to give installation rights to user level profiles. Any ideas?

Using version 5 on NT4.

Hi there

The reason why the following is happening, is because when you install Actinic; the registry entries are made in to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore, if someone else logs in, they will not have registry entries made.

Actinic at the moment can only be install by one user profile i'm afraid.

Normally system administrator set up an account which gives the user admin rights to install actinic, once it has been installed, they can then change the account to be set to 'user' and Actinic will work fine with this.

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

That's all well and good, but I have a catalogue, with a huge amount of info in it already and need it to be looked after by someone else - but Actinic can't do it?

If I grant admin rights to the user, then take a snapshot, save it, delete Actinic from the user's workstation and then re-install it with the snapshot that should work round the problem. Do I have to do this every time the user changes? (Ie when staff leave and are replaced etc)

Surely Actinic can be re-configured to provide this basic function?

Does anyone else have this problem, or just me?

Comment

Hi there

Well you could try the following:

Export the registry settings and input them on the other user profile. The settings will be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Actinic\Catalog6

However I would suggest in backing up your registry data just in case, as if anything goes wrong, then you have a backup, so Windows will function correctly

Another solution would be to simply rename the profile to that of the user who is using the Actinic software. This would be far easier than exporting and importing registry.

Hope this helps you
        Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

OK I now have this same problem with V6 but it came as a big surprise.

Why?

Because on the same machine our old V5 works fine for whoever is logged on!

Comment

Has anyone solved this multiple profile problem yet. I have a customer with 1 store live, expecting to purchase additional licenses but must have the software runable by multiple profiles on the installed PC.

Comment

Has this been resolved in the new version?

It's a bit of dodgy development really, fingers crossed it's been sorted in the new version.

Adrian

Comment

This is not going to change in the next release. Sorry about that.

Comment

no probs.

i'll do an export of my registry in my old profile and run it into my current profile.

the current version of ie is a bit flaky with windows 2000 and there's no fix yet for the side effect whereby your windows profile gradually over time becomes more corrupted. hence needing a new profile, and causing havoc with actinic!

ade

Comment

Working...
                  X