Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workround for customer addresses.

Hi all

I'm getting a lot of negative feedback from my customers about having to enter their address twice on my site (www.mailorder4x4.com). Is there a work round to get past this? Or will I have to go to someone like Mole End for a solution. Any help would be very greatfully recieved .

Cheers
    Last edited by gurushaun; 12-Apr-2007, 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Shaun

www.mailorder4x4.com

Landrover, Range Rover, Discovery and Freelander Spares & Accessories.

Hi Shaun - I went through checkout but only had to put an address in once - where is the problem exactly?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Hi Shaun
      Where exactly do your customers have to enter their name and address twice?
      The only time this should occur is if they opt for a seperate delivery address, in which case, they will need to enter both invoice and delivery address.

Comment

I've just asked the question myself two members of staff told me that they where having problems with customers, but I could'nt see where (one was the boss so I could'nt argue too forcefully ). I'm now convinced that I'm seeing problems that don't exist...
        Shaun

www.mailorder4x4.com

Landrover, Range Rover, Discovery and Freelander Spares & Accessories.

Comment

actually..I have some customers report this too...
          they say that the checkbox for entering an alternative delivery address doesn't show and they HAVE to enter the address twice.

Maybe it's specific to one browser or version?
          I get about 1 in 10 customers who enter the same address twice and then a short complaint in the "reason for alternative delivery address" box!!
          Tracey

Comment

Tracey - works fine in Mozilla Firefox on Windows XP

Comment

That's funny we get the same too - I haven't had any complaints but we get many orders where the billing and delivery addresses are the same but are detailed separately for example on the payment recieved e-mail (where it usually would only be detailed once).

I couldn't understand why people would fill it in twice...... I thought customers were just being 'thick' and filling in the seperate delivery details again but as Tracey said maybe they weren't offered the checkbox...

We are using V7.0.2.
              ActiveStock
              On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
              **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
              Free 30 Day Trial
              ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

your problem lies with the wording on the checkbox that asks for the customer for a delivery address.

"Ship to separate delivery address" in your checkout procedure has a button next to it.

make this button say something more useful like

"Click here to set a different delivery address"

silly customers, they sometimes have no idea.

also
                "If you want to ship the purchase to an address other than the invoice address, check this box:"

this is also confusing for some people.

Comment

We have the following:

"If you want us to deliver your order to an address other than the cardholder address, please tick this box:"

and have never had an instance of the problem being described.

Comment

actually, our customers specifically report that they were not offered any kind of checkbox to allow for same address to be used..

Our text reads "If you want to ship the purchase to an address other than the invoice address, check this box." and they are saying there was no box to check!

so I'm not sure what's happening!
                    Tracey

Comment

Just tested the sites and it works on all browsers for me. Any detail on what exactly is happening would be great.

Tracey:

When you say
                      they were not offered any kind of checkbox to allow for same address to be used..
                      Do you mean for the delivery address page?

Kind regards,
                      Bruce King
                      SellerDeck

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
                        Just tested the sites and it works on all browsers for me. Any detail on what exactly is happening would be great.

Tracey:

When you say Do you mean for the delivery address page?

Kind regards,
                        Yes.
                        According to the customers who are giving some feedback, they are not presented with the "check this box for delivery to alternative address" check box and are automatically being prompted to fill in their address for delivery (and they're usually miffed about it because 99% of the time it means entering the same info twice)

I wish I had more info beyond that!!
                        Tracey

Comment

I believe this phenomenon may be a symptom of the way the checkout is designed.

On reaching the first checkout page the customer is confronted with
                          "Select Shipping Destination"
                          If you don't read the small print (and its a well known fact that users are happier clicking and trying, rather than reading everything first), the only thing to 'select' is the checkbox (for sites that only ship to one destination, there is no drop down country selection box).

Its a fair bet that some may assume that by checking this box, they are selecting the UK, as there are no other choices or ways to select, and may not realise they have instead opted for a different delivery address.

This then results in the two address requests, and no other checkbox (as they have already committed at stage one).

Its just a suggestion.

See what you think when you take another look.

For UK only sites, it would be better to show "we only ship to the UK", rather than "Select Shipping Destination", or seperate out the 'Sepearate Destination 'checkbox, with the addition of some space, and a header "Select Shipping To A Different Destination" (or similar).

I moved through the checkout (without ticking the box), and it only asked me for the cardholders address. I do think you may find its a case of customers not using the site correctly, rather than an Actinic bug at fault. A simple design change at checkout page 1 may solve the misuse problem.

Comment

Just tried Opera - which does silly things on my site - but worked on yours. I didn't tick the box though when I slected UK.

Comment

Working...
                            X