Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acatalog mdb size issue

Hi

We have been monitoring the size of acatalog.mdb on our main production machine, because the machine had begun to slow down.

The acatalog.mdb file was at 220mb so we purged historic orders and compacted databases. This brought the size down to a more reasonable 123mb and actinic speeded back up. However one day later and the file seems to have grown back up to 250mb with the result that actinic is now running slow again. We haven't done any significant work, just added a handful of new products (about 10) and processed about 50 orders. (For info we have about 4000 products in the catalog and we use components and duplicates a fair amount).

We never used to see this level of volatility in the database sizes. Does anyone have any ideas.

Mark
    www.GetGeared.co.uk
    <a href="http://www.getgeared.co.uk">GetGeared.co.uk</a>

I would suggest regularly compacting the database ie daily or weekly

Comment

Hi Mark

from what i know when you compact the database is doind kind of zipping.

however when you start adding new products it will kind of unzip the database to add the new products.

the size actually sound reasonable to me considering the amount of products you have in there.

do you actually have all 4000 products live?

Jo beat me to a reply, but the suggestion made is the best solution.

Comment

Hi

We have about 3000 products actually live on site and we use customvars fairly intensively as well as duplicates.

We can compact the database daily but we have never had the need to in the past, hence the concern that we now seem to have to do daily housekeeping on the database.

I am just hoping this is not a symptom of some larger issue that is about to hit us.
        <a href="http://www.getgeared.co.uk">GetGeared.co.uk</a>

Comment

i have had similar experiences with Access databases in the past in my job.

i even had a db of a similar size droping below 100mb after compact.

i never had a problem with them.

they took some time when they were processing but that was about it.

Comment

from what i know when you compact the database is doind kind of zipping.
            What actually happens is that Access leaves worker tables around, so if you have large tables and are regularly running queries (which Actinic does) Access leaves the tables created to run the queries in place until the space is needed, access also leaves the space left over by deleting records in place, so if you are moving sections around a lot, then there will be a lot of deleted rows left in place.

Compacting it deletes these temporary tables, and allows the space left over from deleting rows to be reused and so makes the database size much smaller - bet you always wanted to know that.

This is an interesting article from Microsoft on compact and repair :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283849

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Multichannel order processing
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
            X