• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mythandmagic
    77 added to cart
    71 went to checkout
    65 got to order02
    with only 5 sales
    When I'm browsing for certain types of products there can be a lot of confusion between various sites all charging different amounts, different postage, sometimes (as with yours) postage that varies by weight or quantity, inc or exc VAT etc.

When that happens I go to each site I have shortlisted and add what I want to the basket in each one, and progress to the page where it includes the VAT and delivery charges (often in the checkout rather than basket) just so I can then compare the final costs and choose the cheapest. It's just easier than calculating it in my head or scribbling on a bit of paper.

I can tell by the behaviour of a lot of my customers that I am not the only one that does this. So checkout but no purchase could indicate people are just trying to find out the final all inclusive cost. This could be indicative of a confusing or hard to find pricing/delivery structure, or a comoditised market with a lot of competition.

btw. those websites that insist on me creating an account before they allow me in the checkout to calculate the final price - instant window death... so watch out for that!
    John

Comment

I tested your site and selected one (not huge or heavy) product and was given only one shipping option which was Royal Mail first class at £8.95. If I could have found the same product elsewhere I probably would have gone for it. Although we are in a more competitive market we offer £2.75 for standard shipping (free over £50), and £5.50 for next day courier regardless of size or weight.

I suspect that many of your customers are commercial - you might have more luck if you prominently offered the option of sending a cheque - many still do not have purchasing cards and don't mind waiting a few days as they are often buying ahead of time - this might also allow you to offer a cheaper shipping option. From this point of view IMO Paypal is less of an issue for your site.

You have your email format checker on - if someone enters rubbish or leaves blank because they don't want you to have their email, the page reappears with an error message which gets lost inbetween other items - a customer might not see it and go round in an endless loop (well at least until they go elswhere).

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Originally posted by simonwar
        I assume you need an account with Paypal
        Paypal is fairly easy (and free) for you to set up. I don't think customer's need an account anymore, they can use it as a credit card payment provider.

For me, about one in several hundred customers request payment by cheque, but I agree with MarkH's point about commmercial buyers.

Alan Compton
        www.greenknightgames.co.uk
        Great board games and cards games you won't find in the High Street

Comment

I was thinking about the emails the other day.

I agree that a lot of people wouldnt want to enter an email

How do i turn the email format checker off ?
          Reverse Osmosis Water Filters

Comment

Kez,

You will find the workaround on this thread ... http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=21628 post #4

Kind regards,
            Bruce King
            SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
            X