Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to skip the upload pre-checks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to skip the upload pre-checks?

My website is now so big that for every upload I have to wait -

Check list of products in sections : 5m32s
    Checking HTML Page : 11m12
    Checking indices : 1m44
    + others giving a total upload time of 20:19

and that is just for the checks! Even if I've only changed one page, or added a customer account, or added a new discount I still have to sit through that every time and it also kills my PC by taking an average of 90% cpu utilisation while it's doing it...

...and it's not like I'm using a slow PC - this is an Athlon 64 3.5ghz CPU with 1gb RAM and RAID-1 SATA 3bg/s disks - hardly a slouch.

Is there a registry hack, secret command line parameter than can skip these checks?

Come on actinic, I'm sure you must have had some option to switch these off when you were testing the product... did you leave anything in there...? go on, you can tell me - I won't tell...
    John

John,

I am sure there a a lot of users like you who would love to have a switch to make the upload faster. This is an area that is being looked at constantly and will have improvements made to whatever extent is possible. Actinic does need to check the files generated on your PC against the ones on your server to see if it needs to upload it or not, this takes some time.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

But what about if nothing has changed?

Wouldn't it be possbile for all changes within actinic to be logged, and template changes could be tracked by seeing if any of the timestamps have changed since the last upload. That wouldn't take to long to check and if no changes had been logged and no templates changed then it wouldn't need to check every single file.

I have written a new utility for actinic which could be very useful but it doesn't work too well if it takes half an hour to upload the site each time...

and don't even get me started on a full upload... I made a change to the primary template and started the upload about 4 hours ago and it's only upto pages starting with 'O' so far...
      John

Comment

John,

I would suggest raising a support ticket on this one, someone can take a look at your DB and check to see what is happening...

When "Web|Update Website" is requested the following actions are performed
        in sequence.

*Checking Catalog...*
        The catlog BLOBs are generated at this phase excluding the search indices. In other words all the configuration information (settings, online prompts, etc) are generated. All the .cat (section information) and most of the .fil (configuration information) files are generated at this time. The generated files are saved to the site directory.

*Checking HTML pages...*
        The Catalog related HTML files are generated at this time. Actinic goes section by section and generates the HTML files for all the sections. The auxiliary HTML files (HTML templates used for the cart or checkout, search page, site map, etc) are also generated at this time. The generated pages are saved to SiteHTML folder.

*Checking brochure pages...*
        If brochure is enabled the related HTML files are generated at this phase. Otherwise the phase is hidden. Actinic goes page by page and generates all the brochure pages. The generated pages are saved to SiteHTML folder.

*Checking search indices...*
        Actinic generates the binary index file for online search at this phase. The search index is saved to the site directory.

*Reviewing files...*
        Actinic checks if there were a previous upload and if so determines which files
        have changed and should be uploaded (by using the file dates). In other words the previous phases generate all the files which are reviewed at this phase to determine which ones should be uploaded (unless the refresh is not
        forced by using Web|Refresh).

*Sending base files...*
        Actinic creates an ftp connection and checks if the remote directory structure is OK. If the required folders are not in place then creates the missing folders (e.g. applet or digital download folders). If the remote directory structure is OK then the base files (perl scripts) are uploaded to the server. When the upload is done a new ftp session is created and the file
        permissions are adjusted as required.
        /Only ftp is used for upload at this phase./
        /This phase doesn't exist in Host mode (the scripts are on the server)./

*Purging files...*
        Actinic investigates the acatalog and the DD folders on the server to find any
        files uploaded previously but not required ATM. If such a file found on
        the server the file is removed.
        Actinic uses session files which hold a lot of configuration sensible information. If the sensible parts of the configuration (network settings) have been changed then the session files are also removed at this phase.

*Sending catalog files...*
        The content of the acatalog directory and the applet files are uploaded at this phase. All the HTML files (catalog and brochure), BLOBs, images and other files are upload to the acatalog directory. The files are uploaded via ftp by default. If the files can not be uploaded by using ftp then EC tries to upload them via http (by using the already uploaded PerlScript.pl). Actinic Host uses http for upload by default.

When a bulk of files are uploaded a new ftp session is opened for permission setting. The permission setting automatically done by PerlScrip.pl if the upload uses http.

*Uploading Digital Download Files...*
        If Digital Download is enabled then the DD files are uploaded in this separate phase. The methods mentioned above (Sending catalog files) apply here.

*Merging incremental updates at the web site*
        There are a few large binary files (search index, customer account details) used in catalog. It would be quite ineffective to upload them in case of any small change. Therefore EC keeps a copy of these files from the previous upload (if there were any) and compares to the current one.

Then only the differences of the previous and the current version of the files are uploaded to the server. These files (the previously upload full file and the actually uploaded differential file) are assembled by MergeDiff.pl at the last phase.

A search for 'timestamp' produced this one ...
        http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=21465

Kind regards,
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
        X